View Full Version : Review the corporate website I built for my dad

skateme
07-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi,

My dad asked me to rebuild his site after his previous web designer basically robbed him by using a Joomla template.

The site is:
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/1484/del.gif

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I know some of you will point out the dull background. Any ideas how to improve it whilst maintaining the professional look?

bazz
07-21-2009, 12:31 AM
You have some validation errors.

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vijaypaulcpa.com%2F

I can't advise on design coz the arty part of my brain is very small. Would you consider thining the containing border to 1px?

ALso, I browse with js disabled so I don't see your nav menu and can't, therefore, get around your site. Better would be to use a css menu, imv.

bazz

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-21-2009, 01:05 AM
I agree about the navigation. It should be CSS based or at least have an alternate navigation for search engines and users who can't see flash.

I think the design is a little plain. Too much gray. It might be better if you offset the gray by having a different color background on the page itself.

Why do you have a fieldset in the footer? It seems to be doing nothing and there isn't a form there so I don't see the point.

skateme
07-21-2009, 05:05 AM
You have some validation errors.

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vijaypaulcpa.com%2F

I can't advise on design coz the arty part of my brain is very small. Would you consider thining the containing border to 1px?

ALso, I browse with js disabled so I don't see your nav menu and can't, therefore, get around your site. Better would be to use a css menu, imv.

bazz

I fixed the validation errors. It should be running smoothly now, as far as validation goes. I tried thinning the border, but it just didn't seem "together" for a lack of better words.

As for the navigation, I put another text-based version of it in the footer. That keeps search engines happy, and the user too, if they stay long enough to look around lol. I'm working on a CSS version as we speak (or should I say, type).

I agree about the navigation. It should be CSS based or at least have an alternate navigation for search engines and users who can't see flash.

I think the design is a little plain. Too much gray. It might be better if you offset the gray by having a different color background on the page itself.

Why do you have a fieldset in the footer? It seems to be doing nothing and there isn't a form there so I don't see the point.

I replaced the fieldset with a div. Thanks for pointing that out. I had originally planned for there to be the default rounded corners that IE automatically places, but it didn't work out.

As for the background, I cannot think of any color that would really benefit the look of the site. Every color I try seems to be harsh and does not fit the color scheme.

By the way, thanks for the criticism so far. More is appreciated :D

Fumigator
07-21-2009, 06:08 PM
I really like it (layout, color scheme) except for that flash navigation-- but I don't like any flash navigation, or any flash for that matter. So just keep that in mind when weighing my opinion.

I think you should just get to the point and display the services on the Home page, and remove the Services page altogether. Put that list of services right up front, give your visitor a big hit of "here be the goods" right up front. The blocks of text-- mission statement, "our philosophy", the welcome-- honestly, no one reads those. Our eyes skim over the first line maybe, then scampers over to the next image that catches our eye. I'm not saying remove that stuff altogether, but just realize it won't be read by most visitors-- that's why I suggest a bullet list of services on the home page, because it's text we'll latch onto. I'd even recommend making each service a link which places a short description of that service in a div on the right side, so when your visitor has a specific need, and sees the service that fits that need, he/she can click it for more information.

camp185
07-24-2009, 04:01 AM
The layout is very narrow. Having a site fit the old 800 pixles monitors is nice support, but have you looked at the site using a modern 17" or 19" that is using a minimum of 1440 pixels wide. It's looks crazy that way.

Couple other notes. Target audience? I would imagine most people looking for a CPA are not young little whipper snappers with 20/20 vision. They are in their 40's and almost everyone starts needing glasses at a certain point. Many of them start needing them in them after 35 or so. Point is text is very small. I'm also guessing that is small because it's the only way you could fit it into a website that is so narrow. Open up the width a little and increase the text, and you will have win win.

Final note...Common practice in online writing is to not indent the paragraph.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum