View Full Version : Unobnoxious pop-ups.

Vladdy
03-28-2003, 06:14 PM
It's not a secret that I absolutely despise web pages (as well as thier authors) that do not stay within the boundaries of MY browser window.
Those who think that they can not live without popups, consider this (http://www.vladdy.net/wca/popupEmulator.html).
The script tested in IE6.0 and Moz1.3 and (of course) behaves better in gecko browser. :D
If anyone needs a "close" button, I could use some in$piration :D :D

swmr
03-28-2003, 06:24 PM
:thumbsup: very nice! :thumbsup:

Spookster
03-28-2003, 06:32 PM
I don't get it. What are we suppose to do on that page?

Borgtex
03-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Spookster
I don't get it. What are we suppose to do on that page?

enter a valid URL, press load and it opens a floating iframe with the url.

I must say that it's an evil idea, however; I prefer popups: at least you can close and block them :D

brothercake
03-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Hey that's pretty cool :) How did you do that elasticity thing when you're dragging it?

Spookster
03-28-2003, 07:29 PM
Oh ok now I get it. I tried typing in some addresses and it kept getting errors and didn't load anything. Apparently I kept typing in addresses of sites that prevent themselves from being put into frames.

Vladdy
03-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by brothercake
Hey that's pretty cool :) How did you do that elasticity thing when you're dragging it?
It's all in the code... ;)

Quiet Storm
03-28-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Vladdy
...I absolutely despise web pages (as well as thier authors) that do not stay within the boundaries of MY browser window...

Sorry. :D

liorean
03-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Great little thing you have there - I only have a small complaint about it: iframes are according to [HTML4] not resizable.

Further, you're using a HTML version that doesn't include iframe (it's in [HTML4] and [XHTML1] Frameset and Transitional, and no others). A page isn't valid just because the source of it is valid - the generated content also must be valid. (Use a strict validating XML browser with scripting capabilities (no, I don't know of any, but anyway ;-) and your script should be throwing errors because of DTD violations)

Vladdy
03-28-2003, 09:03 PM
What can I say... I'm all for standards, but I'm not anal about them... :D :D
Once there is "a strict validating XML browser with scripting capabilities" I will replace iframe with object ;)

allida77
03-28-2003, 09:10 PM
That is cool.

I am not sure of anyway to put a close button on the iframe but you could create buttons on the top of your parent page which lists what windows are open. Then on click just getElementByID and close the appropiate iframe.

Vladdy
03-28-2003, 09:35 PM
Err. The title bar (that you use to drag the window around) has nothing to do with iframe and can accomodate all the buttons you need. The hierarchy is
window
.|- title
.|- client
..|- iframe

liorean
03-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Hmm, I just thought of a cool thing you could do with this - see CSS2 System Colours (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/ui.html#system-colors).

You could get it to apply the system colour scheme to the window, further making it look like a real window.

brothercake
03-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Right ... so just to really confuse people we'll make it look exactly like a window ... except that you can't close it from the task bar or move it away from the parent window ... :rolleyes: ;)

So if iframes are gone in XHTML strict, then maybe there's another way of doing it, by using the <object> tag to import the external file, maybe, or using XLINK. Maybe from that you could have like a "DOM overseer" that intercepts URL requests on the page you're looking at, and rewrites the <object>

Vladdy
03-28-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by brothercake
except that you can't close it from the task bar or move it away from the parent window
Is not this pretty much the definition of MDI ;) :thumbsup:

WA
03-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Very nice script indeed! Not sure if you're looking to possibily feature it on a script archive...if so, I'd love to forward this thread to John of Dynamic Drive. He probably can add in that close button then lol.

mattover-matter
03-31-2003, 02:03 PM
If it blocks pop-ups, and not just closes them once they pop-up, I can use it. I got an ad blocker, but it just immediatly closes them. whenever I open attbi.com, i immediatly start typing the url of my page. then those silly ads popup and mess me up. i gotta click again and all :mad: Is there anyway I can permanently block ads, where they do not even show from just attbi.com? i dont wanna have to go somewhere then type in etc etc.

:D thanks

Vladdy
03-31-2003, 04:26 PM
WA, I'm working on this API that will allow creation and manipulation of "windows" within a web page. Putting iframe inside is just an option I whipped up as a demo for a potential client (and figured I post it here as well so I can embark on "Popups are evil" crusade :D :D :D)
The thing is far from being done - I'm concentrating on the hard parts now, leaving close buttons and such for last. Once done, I will come up with a "Lite" version to feature on free scripts sites such as dynamic drive.

liorean
03-31-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by mattover-matter
If it blocks pop-ups, and not just closes them once they pop-up, I can use it. I got an ad blocker, but it just immediatly closes them. whenever I open attbi.com, i immediatly start typing the url of my page. then those silly ads popup and mess me up. i gotta click again and all :mad: Is there anyway I can permanently block ads, where they do not even show from just attbi.com? i dont wanna have to go somewhere then type in etc etc.

:D thanks
Mattover-matter - you can use a local proxy such as WebWasher to do something like that - but the best choice is, if you ask me, to use a browser with intelligent popup handling. Safari has it, Mozilla has it, and I'd not be surprised if Opera7 has it.

That's not what this thread was about, though - this thread was about making something that looks like a new window, within the current window.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum