View Full Version : What language should I learn for audio/video?

jellobelt
07-19-2009, 02:26 AM
I'm ready to learn a programming language. I have specific goals in mind, but don't know what language to learn to meet them. I know HTML & CSS and have some PHP/MySQL chops and I'm not afraid of a long and arduous journey to reach my destination.

The projects:
1. I want to write an audio program that will randomly select four audio tracks from a database and mix them together, ad infinitum.

2. I want to begin developing a non-linear video editing platform or interface through which I can make/manipulate moving images, whether it be imported video footage or animation.

What language should I learn? Is there one suitable for both of these projects?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

adarshakb
07-19-2009, 01:32 PM
start with basic programing concepts if u dont have any...
any of the standard ones like c,c++, java would help...

Then go into advanced topics... :D
I like java for sound... and video editing is a tricky part.. i dono which is best but i dont want t guess:p

Java is bit slow in sound but EASIEST language for the things you mentioned above.

Dunna
07-20-2009, 12:02 AM
C++ will help as most audio/video programs are written in it. I'd learn the syntax first, then right a plugin for something like Audacity or Adobe Premiere Pro CS3/CS4. Then move onto your own project once you understand how it's all done. Good luck, that stuff isn't the easiest....so many formats, encodings, decodings, etc.

Check out GSpot (audio/video codec identifier) too. Just Google it, it's freeware.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum