View Full Version : Post a serverside script

Mhtml
03-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Please? lol... Right now I am in a good coding mood and everything is flowing to my finger tips, I could write about 10 applications that are potentially useful.

Although new forums have previously been discussed I'd like to think that there is still a possibility of adding a post a serverside script forum with ASP/PHP/PERL & CGI sub forums....

mouse
03-28-2003, 03:59 PM
I agree such a forum would be very useful.

All languages in one, with users adding [PHP] or [ASP] to the thread title maybe?

Mhtml
03-28-2003, 04:00 PM
That'd work just as well. :)

krycek
03-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Yup, sounds good to me. You might even be able to persuade me to submit some of my new code before I publish it at soapi ;)

::] krycek [::

Spookster
03-28-2003, 04:32 PM
Maybe a Post a Script forum with subforums for Javascript, PHP, ASP, Perl, etc.

ionsurge
03-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Spookster
May a Post a Script forum with subforums for Javascript, PHP, ASP, Perl, etc.

:confused:

krycek
03-28-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Spookster
May a Post a Script forum with subforums for Javascript, PHP, ASP, Perl, etc.

cool :D

::] krycek [::

Spookster
03-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by ionsurge
:confused:

What are you confused about?

cg9com
03-28-2003, 08:09 PM
ionsurge like this.

[url=]Javascript (]Post a Script Forums[/url) [url=]ASP (]PHP[/url)
etc.

i think its a good idea.

Roy Sinclair
03-28-2003, 08:32 PM
I wonder if POST A SCRIPT is the best name, it's a given we get a lot f people asking for help in the post a javascript forum already. If this idea is implemented can anyone suggest a name that makes it more clear to the clueless about the purpose of the forum? Or am I just wishing for something that's unlikely to happen?

WA
03-28-2003, 09:54 PM
My problem with a "Post a Server side Category" is on the logistics side of things. A server side script can easily span several files, require detailed instructions on installation, and a demo is often needed (on the author's site). It just seems difficult to encapsulate all that in a thread. Also, such posts can easily wind up becoming a tech support place for people who can't quite implement the script you've posted, either due to lack of good instructions or knowledge.

If you think the above won't be an issue, then it's certainly a category worth considering.

brothercake
03-28-2003, 10:01 PM
I certainly like the idea of extending the Post a Javascript section to embrace other scripting languages; I guess levels of complexity are their own constraint, like its taken as read that only comparitively simple things are posted. We could have it as a general guideline to limit the complexity of what you post in there, to something that can be expressed without multiple attachments, or preferably in a CODE block.

It seems to be that way in post a javascript - that small utilities, constructors, or even just algorithms, are the most common kind of post.

In the same breath .... [if this is practical] ... I think XML doesn't really belong in client-side - it truly is both (or rather, neither) ...

... so if we had client-side and server-side mostly as is, we could have a third, venn-diagram stylee forum, containing Post a Script, XML and General Web Building.

Mhtml
03-28-2003, 10:02 PM
How about the "Code Repository" ...

As for the tech support type problem I think a nice big sticky should do the trick, as well as a strict mod.

ionsurge
03-29-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by cg9com
ionsurge like this.

[url=]Javascript (]Post a Script Forums[/url) [url=]ASP (]PHP[/url)
etc.

i think its a good idea.

Thanks CG9, I get it now.

Mhtml
03-29-2003, 12:17 PM
lol...;)

ionsurge
03-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Dude, I had no idea what you were on about...

Nightfire
03-30-2003, 11:04 PM
I think it's a good idea, but like George said

Also, such posts can easily wind up becoming a tech support place for people who can't quite implement the script you've posted, either due to lack of good instructions or knowledge.

This is very true from what I've seen (look at vbulletin.org), even with such easy things as installing new hacks on vb forums. Some threads are bigger than 10 pages, full of little things, like 'how do you find line 120?', 'your php script won't work on my php version 1.1'.

Even the 'counter tutorial (http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16404)' in the php section became 16 posts and there was no great change in any of the code, was just re-arranged in each post.

It's not a bad idea, if it's used correctly. I guess it really depends on, what's the limit for the scripts? a basic 1+1 script, or a content changing script which uses a database, cookies, etc etc. Serverside could be trickier to post good small scripts

raf
03-31-2003, 09:00 AM
I totally agree with WA and Nightfire.
What's more, i've written a forum a few months ago to work around this problem. The idea was to create an online workshop environnement. In it's present state (ready for testing) it runs like this:
You post a coding problem (not bugs and stuff, but "how do i ...") or a smal app. For each workshop, you can download all the used code. All databasedriven app's run on the same (dowmnloadable) database. You can also run the scripts (to see what hapens) and look at a slideshow that explains the processes.
For each user, the last download of the support-package (db, helpfiles etc) is tracked and he is prompted if he needs a more recent support-package.

There is a real need for this sort a think. I've frequently been involved into threads here where the threadstarters are not confronted with bugs, but just don't know the wright approach to a problem. And explaining it, or downloading there db and files and running them etc is just not efficient.
I can think of dozens of those functionalitys: setting up a registration and login, working with userprofiles, counters, db-generated dropdownlists, working with pictures, recordpaging, datashaping, working with textfiles...

I was thinking about starting to test it, but some other projects came up + i don't run my own server and don't want to pay for having this sort a stuff hosted. And i wonder if i would really have the time to keep it running. I don't want it to slow down my own "coding-development" ;)

If you wan't to supplie this sort a service, and you wan't to provide some quality, then user will inevitably need to pay for it. (And if they need to pay for it, they'll expect it to be tested, supported, blabla)
+
If you just want to post some code, then there are other forums that offer this sort a thing.

My initial motivation was to help people to become better coders, but i've realised that people who want to become good coders, aren't looking for some "third party code". They just wanna know how it should be done and they grab a tutorial or so. People i helped along by coding some functionalitys for them, rarely learned anything about coding (though i supplyed enough info and comments). They hardly succeed in customizing it to their own db and once it works, are reluctant to change anythin about their app or db "cause it's running now". And a week later they post a question here that clearly states they've learned nothing ...

If such forum would be created, i surely would post some app's there, but i really don't think that a lott of newbys would really learn from then. Most of them think about that sort a code, as they think about about applets. "i need something to plug in to my site"...
Actually, i only believe in some sort a "from one expert to another" approach. Just to look at how other coders do it ...

Mhtml
03-31-2003, 09:16 AM
Agreed, although I do think a trial couldn't hurt. I learnt to code ASP by downloading and examining scripts which I integrated into a community website on my computer. That was at least 5 months ago and I'm building my own community portal thing now.

Even if noobs don't learn from it I'm sure us more experienced people will, sharing ideas and such.

raf
03-31-2003, 11:04 AM
Djeeze. Never thought anyone would read all that, let along agree with it :D

(Did we already found a candidate moderator for this proposed forum?)

Mhtml
03-31-2003, 11:17 AM
lol, I think I've read about it before as well. :)

redhead
03-31-2003, 02:52 PM
methinks it would be great for this forum to have one... to showcase poeple's scripts 'n learn by disecting them :) (the scripts, not the members)

Mhtml
03-31-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by redhead
methinks it would be great for this forum to have one... to showcase poeple's scripts 'n learn by disecting them :) (the scripts, not the members)
Roflmao :):D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum