View Full Version : AttachMovie not working

Shirk Deio
07-15-2009, 01:44 AM
This is an incredibly frustrating problem for me. I'm an advanced ASer (AS2) and I'm having problems with the most basic function here, attachMovie.

I have a tile-based engine I've been working on. I'm using a gotoAndStop engine to scroll the tiles when the character moves. That's where my problem is.

When I go down and right one tile (scrolling) then scroll up one tile, the far left upper tile doesn't go to the proper frame, but plays the tile movieclip.

I spent an hour using trace functions to figure out what was going on, and I found out that the attachMovie function isn't working for that one tile.

I use a for loop to change tiles.

tiles_mc.attachMovie(tile,name,depth);
trace(tiles_mc[name]);

If I trace this on the second-to-last tile, it returns the movieclip. If I trace this on the last tile, it appends a blank line to the output box - there's the problem. It's not the upper left tile that's screwed up, it's the upper right tile that isn't getting placed on the proper x value because attachMovie is screwing up.

tiles_mc.attachMovie(tile,name,depth);
trace(tiles_mc[name]);
trace(tiles_mc.getInstanceAtDepth(depth));

If I trace those on the last tile, the first trace outputs a blank line, and the second trace outputs the correct movieclip!

What is going on? This is crazy, and I have a deadline I'm trying to meet. I would really appreciate any help you could offer.

Shirk Deio
07-15-2009, 02:02 AM
I made it work by adding a line of code. When I removeMovieClip for an old tile, I also delete the old tile so it leaves nothing behind. I'm not sure why it needed that, but it did and now it works.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum