View Full Version : YouTube to dump IE6 support

drhowarddrfine
07-14-2009, 08:31 PM
So if you know any IE6 users, make sure they install a modern browser, meaning ANYTHING but ANY version of IE, the worst browser on the planet.
Link (http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/14/youtube-will-be-next-to-kiss-ie6-support-goodbye/)

Fumigator
07-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Except they'll be supporting IE8, so...

ckeyrouz
07-16-2009, 08:04 PM
hey qazx you are infesting all the posts with your link.

Go and play somewhere else.

VIPStephan
07-16-2009, 08:07 PM
hey qazx you are infesting all the posts with your link.

Go and play somewhere else.

Do you think this subject cares? We have a “report post” function (that’s the red flag at the left) where you can report spam to moderators. I’ve done so witht he above post.

BabyJack
07-24-2009, 10:26 AM
I believe Google are ditching IE6 support for all of their products.

VIPStephan
07-24-2009, 12:09 PM
I believe Google are ditching IE6 support for all of their products.

And can you cite a source saying that? What you believe is irrelevant. If I told you that I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, would you take me serious?

drhowarddrfine
07-24-2009, 04:21 PM
If I told you that I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, would you take me serious?

Hm. What you know that I don't know? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vw01Iuxixg)

Apostropartheid
07-24-2009, 04:24 PM
@VIPStephan: They've dropped support for IE6 in Gmail and YouTube, but I don't know about the other services. I highly doubt they will do so in their main search engine, anyway.
@drdr: lol.

bcarl314
07-24-2009, 06:11 PM
While I understand their motivations, I think from a business perspective, dropping support for a browser that still has 15% of the market (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp) is a dumb move.

While I hate IE6, and spend a good amount of time "fixing" sites to work in it, there are many situations - especially corporate and government, where users don't have a choice in what browsers they use.

By dropping IE6, google (and others) are really hurting themselves in the long run.

Now, dropping IE4, yeah, that's fine. It doesn't even register any more on most stats apps, but a 15% marketshare browser is pretty big. IMO

Deacon Frost
07-27-2009, 12:12 AM
While I understand their motivations, I think from a business perspective, dropping support for a browser that still has 15% of the market (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp) is a dumb move.

While I hate IE6, and spend a good amount of time "fixing" sites to work in it, there are many situations - especially corporate and government, where users don't have a choice in what browsers they use.

By dropping IE6, google (and others) are really hurting themselves in the long run.

Now, dropping IE4, yeah, that's fine. It doesn't even register any more on most stats apps, but a 15% marketshare browser is pretty big. IMO

Theoretically, you're correct, however, that's how you make people change. I do agree that their business will suffer for a bit, but what they lose in visits, they'll gain by not having to develop support for, and maintain.

The amount of money they're losing from trying to support such a browser, I'm sure, is greater than the amount of money they're gaining from supporting it.

In my opinion, the only way to get people to stop using IE6 is to assist them in downloading something better (even if it is another crappy IE browser, it's still better). If more websites dropped support for those browsers, then advancement in standards would increase many fold.

oracleguy
07-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Theoretically, you're correct, however, that's how you make people change. I do agree that their business will suffer for a bit, but what they lose in visits, they'll gain by not having to develop support for, and maintain.

The amount of money they're losing from trying to support such a browser, I'm sure, is greater than the amount of money they're gaining from supporting it.

In my opinion, the only way to get people to stop using IE6 is to assist them in downloading something better (even if it is another crappy IE browser, it's still better). If more websites dropped support for those browsers, then advancement in standards would increase many fold.

And a lot of things are like that in the computer industry. There are millions of computers out there still running that do not have PCI Express, but that hasn't stopped the video card manufacturers from dropping support for AGP. You can still find a AGP cards but they are using the old chipsets.

And if someone is using IE6 and goes to visit YouTube and it says they have to upgrade their browser, they'll most likely do it because they want to keep using the site.

Deacon Frost
07-27-2009, 12:22 AM
And a lot of things are like that in the computer industry. There are millions of computers out there still running that do not have PCI Express, but that hasn't stopped the video card manufacturers from dropping support for AGP. You can still find a AGP cards but they are using the old chipsets.

And if someone is using IE6 and goes to visit YouTube and it says they have to upgrade their browser, they'll most likely do it because they want to keep using the site.

That's sad D:. That's almost like still using 5 and 1/2inch Floppy Disks, or 10m harddrives >.<.

Yeah, I guess slowly phasing out IE6 would probably be best instead of just dropping all support for it. Instead of design/devving updates for it, just leave it as is, and hopefully by the time they've finished updating, there will be less IE6 users.

drhowarddrfine
07-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Hmm. None of my 10 computers have PCI-E slots. Granted most are servers but the 3 dev systems don't either.

I inherited my son's old system a couple weeks ago. It's still sitting in his room and I think it might have one. I'm also getting my mother-in-law's today. It was filling up with viruses so she bought a new one. I kid you not.

oracleguy
07-27-2009, 01:19 AM
Yeah, I guess slowly phasing out IE6 would probably be best instead of just dropping all support for it. Instead of design/devving updates for it, just leave it as is, and hopefully by the time they've finished updating, there will be less IE6 users.

Well in a way YouTube is one of a handful of sites on the Internet that has the leverage to get people to upgrade. Lots of people want to be able to use it and they'll apply a free upgrade to keep using it. So they can just cut IE6 users off if they want and people will be willing to upgrade.

VIPStephan
07-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm also getting my mother-in-law's today. It was filling up with viruses so she bought a new one. I kid you not.

Then make sure she buys one without Windows preinstalled and install some Linux on it – or swap IE with another browser before she gets used to using it. :p

drhowarddrfine
07-27-2009, 02:18 PM
I think she does use Firefox and she would be using Linux but that would require me to set it up but I haven't talked to that beotch in over 10 years.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum