View Full Version : SSL certificate problem across multiple sites.

tosbourn
07-07-2009, 05:46 PM
I have a dedicated host with a static IP, on this host are say 6 websites, 5 of these have domain names, one does not.

The one that doesn't requires SSL certification.

In the past when I have bought certs, if I bind them to an IP and the address is accessed by domain name, an error will appear in the browser saying the SSL cert is wrong.

My worry is that if I buy a cert and bind it to the IP address of the server (which is what I need for this one site) the other sites are going to start warning users.

My first question is; are my concerns actual concerns, or the ramblings of a paranoid techie?

My next questions is; assuming I am right to be cautious, is there any way around this? (I should mention, buying a domain name for this particular site is out of the question.)

oracleguy
07-07-2009, 07:09 PM
If your other sites are using the same certificate as the one site and the addresses do not match, then yes, your users will get a warning. Depending on your sites, that can be a big deal because it could scare users off plus it is kind of annoying.

tosbourn
07-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Yeah that is what I thought. And some of the sites are meant to be public gateways so it would be a bigger issue than a few people needing to accept that the cert is fine.

Cheers for confirming that.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum