View Full Version : Am I blocking bots from indexing site content

waterintofunk
07-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I have a simple gateway page that when the user makes selections from the dropdown menus, they are forwarded to a small PHP script that loads the headers and redirects the users to the appropriate sub-directory based on the selections that they made. My question is: will search engines be able to index the content of the site?

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Probably not. Search engines follow links within content so if the links to your sub-directories aren't visible without selecting an option from the drop down then search engines probably never see them. Why the need for the drop down? Why not a css drop down menu?

webdesigner
07-06-2009, 09:58 PM
I have a simple gateway page that when the user makes selections from the dropdown menus, they are forwarded to a small PHP script that loads the headers and redirects the users to the appropriate sub-directory based on the selections that they made. My question is: will search engines be able to index the content of the site?

most likely not...but you could create a link for each selection (maybe in the footer?) and add them to your sitemap file.

Apostropartheid
07-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah, create a sitemap file. A CSS dropdown would be better for you, though.

waterintofunk
07-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Sorry, I guess drop down menu wasn't the word I was looking for. I meant a select box, as in the form element. I may have to change it to a css menu, unfortunately there would be too many options for it to work well in the footer. Thanks for your help folks.

AlexTampa
07-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Sorry, I guess drop down menu wasn't the word I was looking for. I meant a select box, as in the form element. I may have to change it to a css menu, unfortunately there would be too many options for it to work well in the footer. Thanks for your help folks.

yes select boxes do block bots.

CSS menu etc is the way to go. How many selections are there? You could always do a multi colume drop down

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum