View Full Version : which browsers best for testing?

ASAAKI
03-26-2003, 11:20 PM
i don't want to overload my dad's already considerably slow laptop :-s, but i need to download the major browsers so i can do proper testing for the site i'm working on. i'd just like to know i'd chosen the right browsers, so i don't stuff the laptop any more than i can help.
the site has to be as accessible as i can make it. right now i'm on ie6 and have also got mozilla 1.3a

so which browsers should i download?
this is what i think so far:

- Lynx.
- Netscape 4.
- IE 4 and 5.
- Opera - 3 and 6 i think.
- And not Netscape 7 because it's the same as Mozilla?:confused:
- which versions of Mozilla?
- and what about Konquerer?
- Phoenix? - only heard of it

thanks in advance :):)

krycek
03-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by ASAAKI

the site has to be as accessible as i can make it. right now i'm on ie6 and have also got mozilla 1.3a

good :)

- Lynx.

yup

- Netscape 4.

no!

- IE 4 and 5.

no!

no! if anything, use 7 - but why bother?

- And not Netscape 7 because it's the same as Mozilla?:confused:

yup, except mozilla is more up-to-date

- which versions of Mozilla?

the latest one

- and what about Konquerer?

um, not necessary really, behaves much like mozilla

- Phoenix? - only heard of it

light version of mozilla, really

thanks in advance :):)
heheh, another one of those annoying TIAs lol :p - it's ok :)

::] krycek [::

Catman
03-26-2003, 11:30 PM
I use these:

IE 6
Netscape 7 & 6.2
Mozilla (latest and greatest)
Opera 7
Lynx (though, if your basic design does not rely on Javascript and CSS for functionality, this may be unnecessary)

There are several differences between Netscape and Mozilla, enough that I use both.

ASAAKI
03-26-2003, 11:43 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Netscape 4.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no!

quote:
- IE 4 and 5.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no!

quote:

no! if anything, use 7 - but why bother?

emmmmm...coz there are lotsa peeps still using those?
a load of my own friends are still on ie 5.
or should i not bother because there aren't many differences between the versions? in which case it would be a waste.

oh i'm so so sorry what's happening to my manners, why i actually forgot to THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

brothercake
03-27-2003, 12:05 AM
Lynx is a serial browser, so it gives you a very good estimation of what other serial browsers will get - screenreaders, braille displays, search engine robots, et al.

iCab for Mac has a page reader built-in :thumbsup: How cool is that!?

Opera 7 has great testing features, like the ability to turn off stylesheets with a button on the toolbar, and a mind-dumbingly comprehensive JS console (it can track errors all the way back to their source object/event, and document every stage!) It can also send local files to the w3c validator from the context menu (so you don't have to upload them)

Safari/Konqueror is sufficiently different from Opera 7 or mozilla that it's worth getting (if you can run mac or linux). You only really need one or the other.

I have every Netscape from 1 onwards :) I never use any of them ;)

And Phoenix is, like krycek said, just mozilla in a different skin (it's written in XUL; very light, and you don't even have to install it; I use it for virtually all my web surfing). However for developing, a main mozilla build is useful - its JS console picks up strict warnings that Phoenix doesn't.

Roy Sinclair
03-27-2003, 02:28 PM
You can't load multiple versions of IE (later than IE 3.0) on a single machine so the version of IE you have is pretty much the one you need to use for testing.
This inflexability is one of the costs of having the browser integrate deeply into the OS.

bcarl314
03-27-2003, 02:42 PM
Why NN 4? An extremly low % of people use it now. My guess is that most of them use it only for testing purposes. I don't even consider it a a viable browser any more.

brothercake
03-27-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Roy Sinclair
You can't load multiple versions of IE (later than IE 3.0) on a single machine so the version of IE you have is pretty much the one you need to use for testing.
This is what Virtual Machines are for :)

liorean
03-27-2003, 03:22 PM
Talking about virtual machines, there's a few questions I wanterd to ask:

- What x86-on-x86 virtual machine program works best? If I don't want to pay the too large sum for VMWare, what alternatives are there? How buggy and hard to configure are they? Do they support mapping sound, gameport, network card?

- Is there any PPC or OSX emulator out there?

- What OS is best for browser testing? Win95/98/98se/me? WinNT/2k/XP?

// Liorean, having troubles running Win98 OEM (Swedish) on Bochs.

brothercake
03-27-2003, 10:07 PM
I only have experience of VMWare; but my friend it truly rocks and is well worth the money. I set it up at work recently - my computer there has two independent internet connections, a DHCP LAN/proxy connection, and a local private LAN - and when I installed VMWare, then installed Win 98 in that, everything just worked straight away as if it were my normal computer :D

Version 4 is in beta at the moment, and it supports (get this) drag and drop between virtual machines :)

afaik there is no PPC emulator for windows. There was one in development once called Gemulator, but it was never released - the word seemed to be that PPC emulation is impossible without access to proprietary information .. which Apple aren't giving away, obviously.

I'd say 2K or XP are best (go for XP pro rather than home - can't run IIS on home ... if you care ;)). I love XP personally, but lots of people are perfectly happy with 2K. Stay away from ME like the plague ... you'd be better off with 95 ...

As much as I do favour windows - because I'm so much more productive in it - I'm also having a sly affair with OSX :D It's very cool indeed.

cg9com
03-28-2003, 02:47 AM
I have IE6 some random build of mozilla (new at least) and the newest opera, ive never searched for lynx, but brothercake pointed out to me before, (and above i believe) that in the toolbar of opera there is an option, i guess it emulates a text browser? pretty handy :thumbsup:

but as long as you keep your HTML first and your CSS second, your site will work very well.
in other words, dont position a div high on a page with CSS, but very low in the HTML, because when the page is rendered things will look all crazy-like, place it in some sort of order etc.
also when you build your page, give the coding some meaning.

my ideas *shrug* :)

brothercake
03-28-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by cg9com
in other words, dont position a div high on a page with CSS, but very low in the HTML
Au contraire - do do that; for eg - you can order your html like this:

content
navigation

But you can present it to graphical web browsers like

navigation
content

See the value in that?

Catman
03-28-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by brothercake
See the value in that? I do.

brothercake
03-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Have you read Joe Clark's book - 'Building Accessible Websites'? That was his idea ... ;)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum