View Full Version : Best intro book on programming logic/structure

aspiring_coder
06-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Hello,

I'm a relatively new programmer; I picked up Visual Basic for Applications at my current job and have developed a taste for programming, having created some (fairly) complex macros in Excel to handle many daily tasks.

That being said, I'd like to delve into programming further, beyond the scope of programming for excel. I enjoy creating new programs and solving problems, so I figured programming might be a good fit for me.

However, before I jump into learning a language like C++ or something similar, I think it would be a good idea to develop a solid foundation.

What kind of books would you suggest, that perhaps aren't language-specific, but rather focus on the logic and structure of programming?

If I'm totally off on my thinking, please let me know. Thanks.

apcalculus
07-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Hello,

I'm a relatively new programmer; I picked up Visual Basic for Applications at my current job and have developed a taste for programming, having created some (fairly) complex macros in Excel to handle many daily tasks.

That being said, I'd like to delve into programming further, beyond the scope of programming for excel. I enjoy creating new programs and solving problems, so I figured programming might be a good fit for me.

However, before I jump into learning a language like C++ or something similar, I think it would be a good idea to develop a solid foundation.

What kind of books would you suggest, that perhaps aren't language-specific, but rather focus on the logic and structure of programming?

If I'm totally off on my thinking, please let me know. Thanks.

From Logic to Logic Programming (Foundations of Computing) (Hardcover) by Kees Doets might be what you're looking for.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum