View Full Version : Good web design

Kodah
06-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Know of a good book, article or website about good web design? I already know a little about the subject but I want the secretes to superb, clean, professional, eye-catching, hi-performance, low load web design.

please, if you can, point me in the right direction.

Thanks

gnomeontherun
06-29-2009, 09:33 AM
I've aquired a few books, and some that I want to aquire. I decided to put a list here for top books that I have or have heard are very good. I'll underline a couple I highly suggest.

Design Principles
Sexy Web Design - Elliot Jay Stocks
The Principles of Beautiful Web Design - Jason Beaird
The Zen of CSS Design - Dave Shea

Advanced Standards Design
Transcending CSS - Andy Clarke
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions - Andy Budd
Bulletproof Web Design - Dan Cederholm
Web Standards Creativity - Andy Budd
Web Standards Solutions - Dan Cederholm
Designing with Web Standards - Jeffrey Zeldman

Usability
Don't Make Me Think - Steve Krug
Designing Web Usability - Jakob Nielsen

Kodah
06-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanx Jeremy.

I found an example chapter for "Don't make me think", I'll be getting this one for sure :)

I wonder how many of these books are in the local library....

masterofollies
06-30-2009, 03:38 PM
These are some of the most important aspects of good web design.

1. White Space. Don't cluster everything together, break things apart, make space between everything.

2. Don't overdo the flashy graphics. If your website contains 90% graphics and 10% content that is bad.

3. Make things easy to navigate. Lets see you visit google.com and you want to download google earth. You shouldn't need to go to applications > all products > download products > google earth. Way too many pages and it upsets people when they need to spend a half hour trying to locate something they want. Keep it simple.

4. Make sure there is no broken links, missing pages, servers down, etc. You can lose half of your traffic if say a product they want is broken and they can't download, they check back 5 times over the next few days and its still down. They won't visit you again most likely.

5. Lastly, make sure you keep your content up to date. If you visit the website a year later and its the exact same that isn't good.

drhowarddrfine
06-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Good set of tools and articles (http://code.google.com/speed/) from Google.

gnomeontherun
06-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I'd let you borrow my copies if you come get them!

Kodah
07-01-2009, 03:01 AM
lol, I appreciate the offer... You could mail them to me :D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum