View Full Version : so...what's the best way to start?

maikelv
06-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Hey everyone,

After seeing an adobe presentation on Flash Catalyst, I have decided I want to learn flash/AS.
I have a pretty simple question: how do I start educating myself? Books? Video tutorials? anything else?
I am especially interested in a good book, any recommendations?

I have experience with PHP and have a basic knowledge of OOP.
I noticed the tutorials in the sticky, however I would like to have a coherent whole "go-to" solution for my studies.

Cheers!

gnomeontherun
06-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Books. Video tutorials are nice but then again they tend to cut corners because you can't possibly learn as much with someone reading aloud as fast as you read a book.

I don't have any recommendations, other than pick a book for actionscript 3. Ignore version 2. I would just look at amazon or a book store for reviews, and pick up one that seems to fit you.

I personally don't usually go for the "From the Source" books from Adobe, they aren't for me, but pick a few up at the store and test them. In fact, maybe buy two so you get two perspectives on techniques and practices.

maikelv
06-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Books. Video tutorials are nice but then again they tend to cut corners because you can't possibly learn as much with someone reading aloud as fast as you read a book.

I don't have any recommendations, other than pick a book for actionscript 3. Ignore version 2. I would just look at amazon or a book store for reviews, and pick up one that seems to fit you.

I personally don't usually go for the "From the Source" books from Adobe, they aren't for me, but pick a few up at the store and test them. In fact, maybe buy two so you get two perspectives on techniques and practices.

Thanks for the reply, I have been checking out amazon. I might follow your advice and buy two.

gnomeontherun
06-24-2009, 03:15 PM
It can be good, perhaps one that is strictly beginner and one that tries to push you faster, so you can kind of move at will. Let me know which books you get, I need to get some for AS3.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum