View Full Version : Assigning the an entire document

06-19-2009, 08:02 AM
I am barely familiar with javascript. I have this html code with an embedded iframe. The html file in the iframe refreshes every once in a while. That is fine. However, in IE, there is this annoying click with every refresh.

I googled a bit and saw a few solutions. Seem to me that if I fetched the contents of the HTML file (AJAX call) and assigned it to existing document, I may get around the problem.

1. How do I assign an entire document in JS?

2. If I did this would this prevent the clicks?

Philip M
06-19-2009, 08:49 AM
1. How do I assign an entire document in JS?

2. If I did this would this prevent the clicks?

var str = document.getElementsByTagName('html')[0].innerHTML;
alert (str);

2. No idea. Try it.

Login?: yes
Password: i dont have one
password is incorrect

Login?: yes
Password: incorrect

06-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Thank you for your response. I am going to try it. However, I need a bit of a clarification. Perhaps, to begin with I should have posted the code where I am trying to do this. I am trying to get the contents from a URL with a synchronous AJAX call and then do the assignment. As I am not too familiar with JS the reverse assignment and the alert has me confused. Could you please explain this a bit. I have given below the code snippets.

This is what I currently have (which causes the click to occur)

window.location = myurl;

Here is what I am trying to do in a javascript function using AJAX

receiveReq.open("GET", myurl, false);
var response = receiveReq.responseText;

When the response comes back I need to replace the whole document, in a manner similar to an assignment

06-19-2009, 05:07 PM
The 'click' is a sound IE attaches to 'navigation complete' from a window or frame. It is user controlled, and is set or removed from the control panel sounds applet.

06-21-2009, 12:19 PM
I realize that the click is an IE thing as it does not happen in Firefox. However, one cannot expect the visitor (to one's site) to turn off this. I have not figured out how to replace entire document. I looked around for only a little while and could not find much.

I am thinking of going a different route. I will try and modify the code that generates the 'reload' HTML. If the reload is happening because of a refresh, I will try an return only part of the HTML that changed and use innerHTML to replace the content. This may be what I should have been doing to begin with. Hope this solves my problem.

However, I would still like to find out if there is any way one can replace the entire HTML using something like the innerHTML