View Full Version : Really need help! Moved servers but still showing old site?

jessnoonyes
06-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Hey all! We seem to be having an issue with something. We changed the nameservers for a domain to a different hosting company and made up a new site for that host. Everything went fine. When I view the site on my computer the new site is there as it should be. However on my friend's computer it's still pulling up the old site with the old host, even though we've cleared out all the cookies, cache, etc. Sometimes the new site will pop up for a bit, then the old site shows up again, only on his computer.

We're both going through the same internet service provider and I can't think of a single reason why his computer would be doing that. Any ideas?

tomws
06-12-2009, 07:26 PM
How long ago was the change made? It can take a couple of days for DNS changes to propagate.

oesxyl
06-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey all! We seem to be having an issue with something. We changed the nameservers for a domain to a different hosting company and made up a new site for that host. Everything went fine. When I view the site on my computer the new site is there as it should be. However on my friend's computer it's still pulling up the old site with the old host, even though we've cleared out all the cookies, cache, etc. Sometimes the new site will pop up for a bit, then the old site shows up again, only on his computer.

We're both going through the same internet service provider and I can't think of a single reason why his computer would be doing that. Any ideas?
I agree with tomws about propagating dns, :)
another problem could be if there is a proxy servers somewhere who serve the old pages.

best regards

bazz
06-12-2009, 08:10 PM
you running xp? any os can do this but I know only how to check it in xp.

strat->run
c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

check that you domain isn't showing in that file like:

12.65.324.897 yourdomain.com

This is how I see my new sites before they go live and of course, once they have gone live, I sometimes forget that I made a change to that file. Only noticeable if I move servers, as you have just done.

But yes, the others' points are valid too - and probably more likely.

bazz

jessnoonyes
06-12-2009, 08:50 PM
I thought it was a propogation issue at first too, but we're both running off of the same internet service provider. There's some kind of memory thing with his internet explorer that clearing the cache won't fix. When I installed a new browser on his computer (opera) it pulled it up just fine.

jessnoonyes
06-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Alright scratch that. This is maddening. The new browser, Opera, was pulling up the site just fine for a couple of hours, then reverted back to pulling up the old site. Seriously strange.

The site is thesolesavers.com if that helps any...

bazz
06-13-2009, 01:28 AM
I don't recall ever being in your site so thee won't be anything in my cache.

I am seeing a site in blue, with 2006 ay the bottom.

bazz

jessnoonyes
06-13-2009, 01:45 AM
I uploaded a screenshot of what it should look like (it's coming up fine in browsershots.org so I'm thinking this problem might be related to their computer).

The main difference on the home page between the old site and the new is the sidebar. Does it look ok for you?

Thanks for your help!

bazz
06-13-2009, 01:49 AM
that's the one I see.

jessnoonyes
06-13-2009, 02:00 AM
*whew* That's what I wanted to hear. I've been doing this a long time and I've never heard of the kind of issues they're having pulling up their site. Changing nameservers has never been difficult or a big deal for me. It really must have something to do with their computers then, you think?

oesxyl
06-13-2009, 02:19 AM
*whew* That's what I wanted to hear. I've been doing this a long time and I've never heard of the kind of issues they're having pulling up their site. Changing nameservers has never been difficult or a big deal for me. It really must have something to do with their computers then, you think?
maybe this will help you.
this are the headers reported by webdeveloper extension:

Response Headers - http://thesolesavers.com/

Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 01:12:26 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) PHP/5.2.6 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.31 OpenSSL/0.9.8b
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.6
X-Pingback: http://thesolesavers.com/xmlrpc.php
Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
Connection: Keep-Alive
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

200 OK

and this is the response of a request to a command line tool:

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 01:11:52 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.41 (Unix) PHP/5.2.6 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.31 OpenSSL/0.9.8b
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.6
X-Pingback: http://thesolesavers.com/xmlrpc.php
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

I don't like that 301, :)

best regards

jessnoonyes
06-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Hm, that's interesting. HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently What could that mean?

I did set up something in the htaccess file to force the www off the domain, because for some reason if he typed www in the url it pulled up the old site, but if he left it off sometimes it pulled up the new.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.thesolesavers.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://thesolesavers.com/$1 [R=301,L]

oesxyl
06-13-2009, 02:37 AM
Hm, that's interesting. HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently What could that mean?

I did set up something in the htaccess file to force the www off the domain, because for some reason if he typed www in the url it pulled up the old site, but if he left it off sometimes it pulled up the new.
this kind of redirection, with or without www, must return a 302 status not 301 for the page. I would check htaccess or the server conf file.
BTW, there are a lot of differences between Apache 1.3 and 2.0, check this out too.

rewrite seems correct for apache 2.0, check the differences for 1.3
best regards

jessnoonyes
06-13-2009, 03:08 AM
Thanks! That's good to know. I just took it off for now since it's not necessary

oesxyl
06-13-2009, 03:13 AM
Thanks! That's good to know. I just took it off for now since it's not necessary
is good to know if this was realy the cause of the problem. the problem is solved or is still there?

best regards

jessnoonyes
06-13-2009, 05:01 AM
No I'm sure it wasn't the problem because the problem existed before I attempted that. Not sure what the issue is still, but I really appreciate your help!

oesxyl
06-13-2009, 05:13 AM
No I'm sure it wasn't the problem because the problem existed before I attempted that. Not sure what the issue is still, but I really appreciate your help!
check to see if the problem disappear if you can. On a shared server where redirection is usead both from htaccess and apache conf file things become complicated. If you can enable rewrite logs you probably can discover what's happend.
Looking in the server access log could be another usefull source of information.

ask your host to upgrade apache to 2.0, 1.3 is pretty old but be aware that is possible to have problems and you need to do some change to your code.
best regards

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum