View Full Version : what do i use?

annoyin no0b
03-24-2003, 04:22 AM
okay here's my nooby question... i want a forum but i dont want to use some free forum provider and have my site plastered with ads.. what do i do? Can i make my own forum and with what lang/script?

justame
03-24-2003, 06:22 AM
ann...
sounds like youre just a trying® to runnn before ya can/havelearned to crawl...
'cept since /me sees that thisss forum is php??? perhaps thattts just a language® you could start with???

just a suggestion® :O))) n' goodluck...:O)))

ronaldb66
03-25-2003, 10:29 AM
If your site is hosted on a server that supports PHP and MySQL you could try PHPBB; it's a free bulletin board / forum available on http://www.phpbb.com/, it's - relatively - easy to set up and works well. It is said to consume quite a bit of space, though.

ionsurge
03-25-2003, 10:37 AM
Not really ronald.

Anyway, it is pretty good, and editing the templates is very easy to do, and you can cram as much ads that you want into it, so long as you know how to code in html.

If, like you say you don't want to use a free forum, then head over to www.vbulletin.com - the best forum on earth in my view, no bugs whatsoever, and very versatile.

Have fun!

:)

krycek
03-25-2003, 11:15 AM
OMG you guys... you have not found the light of http://www.invisionboard.com/ !!!

Although phpbb is pretty close :p

::] krycek [::

ionsurge
03-25-2003, 12:32 PM
IVB has a ghastly GUI, I wouldn't touch that with a 10ft ugly stick.

:D

cg9com
03-25-2003, 03:27 PM
phpbb & ivb 's default interface are both ugly, i wouldnt download those pages in YOUR browser.
the point is, "annoyin no0b", you can use a free bulliten board provided by different companies, if the host you are using for your site supports the languages they are written in. no ads, cept maybe a tiny text link at the bottom of each page (like this forum has).
i dont know of any good free hosts with server side support.

mattover-matter
03-26-2003, 06:00 AM
doesn't brinkster offer asp support? but to pay.....YUK!

Animan
03-26-2003, 09:31 PM
forums are very hard to do in html and i think you should start at a lower level chekc out the tutorials at www.w3schools.com

Nightfire
03-26-2003, 10:58 PM
Yeah, it's very hard. So hard it's impossible to do in just html ;)

If you don't know any serverside languages (being biast) I suggest you learn php (http://www.php.net), then download phpbb (yucky), or empty your piggy bank and get vbulletin :)

ASAAKI
03-27-2003, 12:25 AM
what happened about Mhtml's asp forum? Quickboard Lite as far as i remember...

ionsurge
03-27-2003, 08:41 AM
I think he has decided to put it to one side while he sorts out www.m5interactive.com

:)

ASAAKI
03-27-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by mattover-matter
doesn't brinkster offer asp support? but to pay.....YUK!

i'm on brinkster's free general solution, it has got asp support.

ionsurge
03-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Sounds good, brinkster, no ads, and free.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum