View Full Version : New page design....keep Google position?

noneforit
06-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Hello

I am designing a new website for a customer to replace their existing one. If you search for 'Tree Surgery Maidstone' the top result is Arbur Tree Surgery which is the company so they have a good position.

How can I replace the whole site design files and still keep same search engine position?

Thanks

VIPStephan
06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
The design has nothing to do with the search engine position. What is important is the content.

noneforit
06-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Ok so assuming I copy the exact text from the previous design (which i was going to do anyway) then it should be ok?

varg
06-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Ok so assuming I copy the exact text from the previous design (which i was going to do anyway) then it should be ok?

dude, no. it's the content which matters. Im not touching anyone's serious website until I get a few things down:

1. pagination
2. user interface design
3. 2-click rule
4. navigation
5. modular design

you risk ruining your future rep if you jack these projects up.

contract out to an experienced user interface designer and copywriter would be my suggestions. these are the things they don't teach you in design school. you're not a designer if you have xhtml / css down, you're a code monkey.

arthurakay
06-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Content is king, as they say.

But you're also going to want the page names to stay the same - or else utilize 301 redirects. Google, Yahoo, etc. all have the existing pages ranked and stored, so they'll be looking for the existing pages. If "trees.html" can't be found, the search engines will remove that ranking from their systems. It will take time for them to re-crawl and re-rank the new pages, so be careful.

Tsid
06-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Yes, page names do matter much. Better leaving them intact to the possible maximum. I'd suggest first looking for pages with highest pagerank and backlinks to select the ones to remain intact.

Then, the content position does matter too. If you replace tags like H1 or Strong by divs or whatever else, the relevance for differrent keywords may change for that page and you'll suffer from that too. For example, you may use the google keywording tool to compare old and new pages for semantic structure.. closer they are - better the probability of no losses to occur..

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum