View Full Version : Can you find an IP address with PHP?

03-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Now that I have finished my forum, I am working on a chat room sorta thing.

I know PHP isn't meant for this, But I wanna try, A birthday pressie for my friend who likes chat rooms.

How can you find an IP address with PHP, or is it even possible. I want to make a block users system.

03-23-2003, 12:13 AM

PHP isn't the ideal language to make a chatroom. You're gonna have to continually refresh the page.

03-23-2003, 10:04 AM

I went through all the $_SERVER[] things on Dreamweaver MX, and That is the one that brought Up an IP address, but I thought I could have been my sites IP address 'cos it was done at the server.

So thanks!

As for the page refreshing, I know! Page refreshing seems like the only way.

Thanks for your help.

03-23-2003, 02:02 PM
There are other ways of doing a real-time chat ;)

However, they are difficult...

::] krycek [::

03-23-2003, 03:19 PM
I have a flash chatroom, But I didn't make it and no-one ever uses it.

I also got a room from centralchat.net, Which Is Java. What would really help if I could find examples of flash and PHP.

If any of you have ever been to habbohotel.com (http://www.habbohotel.com) and been on the chat there, you will know that you can mix Shockwave and, I think it's ASP, And I have seen Flash and PHP.

Any more help appreciated.

03-24-2003, 01:27 AM
A thought....

You might not want to have the entire page reload, that'll require a lot of bandwidth. You can always have an iframe with style="display: none;" that links to a text file with the messages and have the page read from that.

03-24-2003, 03:08 AM
We are getting off topic now. The original question of how to obtain the users IP address using PHP was answered so I will close this thread. If you wish to discuss creating chatrooms in PHP then open a new thread..