View Full Version : Javascript novice needing advice.

effpeetee
06-02-2009, 12:13 PM
I want to start improving my Javascript, not very difficult as my knowledge is just a little above total ignorance.

I have two large tomes. "Javascript in 24 hours" by Michael Moncur. (He must be joking.) and "Javascript - The Definitive Guide" by O'Reilly.

Between them they must weigh the proverbial ton.:D

I need a book without all the history and padding. One that gets down to brass tacks.

Any advice welcomed. I do not believe that "Ignorance is Bliss.":eek:

Frank

udjamaflip
06-05-2009, 05:53 PM
This is where I started:

http://www.w3schools.com/JS/default.asp

Books aren't always the answer to an extreme beginner, they are usually best for beginner-novice in my experience.

Follow the 10 steps or so through that tutorial doing different stuff, and it should teach you the general stuff. Javascript is a lot bigger than it used to, so once you have learnt the basics of JS I would recommend you start learning to use Javascript frameworks rather than just JS, such as JQuery or MooTools.

effpeetee
06-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks udjamaflip ,

I am using that facility and it is very useful. Why I wanted a book is due to my method of learning. I usually study for half an hour or so, sitting up in bed before I go to sleep. Having a computer in bed is not very easy, so I need a book. I have finally bought "Head First Javascript" by Michael Morrison.

Trouble is, that like so many of these books, it is very heavy and difficult to read other than on a table. I must be getting grouchy in my old age. I'll have to watch it!:(

Regards,

Frank

Philip M
06-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I found a book Javascript In Easy Steps by Mike McGrath very readable and useful. I believe that a new edition has been published recently.

effpeetee
06-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I found a book Javascript In Easy Steps by Mike McGrath very readable and useful. I believe that a new edition has been published recently.
Thank you Philip M

I'll give it a whirl.

EDIT: I have just ordered it from Amazon.

Frank

udjamaflip
06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I have always found the "Dummies guide to xxxx" and the "Beginning xxxxx" books helpful personally :)

effpeetee
06-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I have always found the "Dummies guide to xxxx" and the "Beginning xxxxx" books helpful personally :)
udjamaflip ,
I think the 'Dummies' series seems right for this dummy.

I have done quite a lot of programming in the past so learning javascript shouldn't be that difficult. The trouble is that most books do not teach me in the manner that I am used to.

I like to have a list of the commands explaining what they are for and how to use them.
Once I have learned this, I would then be better equiped for the lessons. Most of the many books that I have waste a lot of my time with history and why the author wrote the book, which frankly I am not interested in. All this extra bloat, makes the book very heavy and unwieldy. But that is just my view.

Thanks to all for their advice and interest. Keep it coming.

Frank

effpeetee
06-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Philip M

Thanks Philip M,

I have now bought it and it is just what I wanted. To the point and light enough (weight- wise) to read in bed.

Frank

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum