blackman
03-20-2003, 09:11 PM
Can someone please tell me how to build a website like www.channel4.com

Especially the way that the colours are

Morgoth
03-21-2003, 02:18 AM
Key word..
TABLES

If you don't know what a table is, then you might want to start over...

Tables in tables, tables beside tables, one large table to keep many little tables in!

So many methods, it's not hard..
TABLES!

mouse
03-21-2003, 03:37 AM
They use tables I see but tbh 880+ lines of code/mark up is a joke. That page could be easily done using CSS, with less than half the code. I'd guess they've only used tables for NS4 compatibility...

Is it just me that can't pull up the source code? :confused: :rolleyes:

Morgoth
03-21-2003, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by mouse
Is it just me that can't pull up the source code? :confused: :rolleyes:

Source code of what? The site?

mouse
03-21-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Morgoth
Source code of what? The site? Hold on. I can't get any source code in IE6 :confused: How odd. :rolleyes:

ionsurge
03-21-2003, 11:27 AM
Well I can, and by the looks of it, they have used .css and not a lot of unneccesary code... bah to nscape.

:D

mouse
03-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Hmmm, well I can only view source by opening that page in Mozilla, for some reason IE doesn't like it. And the layout is all done in tables. I'd copy the source into here but I get the message: your message is 35555 too long (there's a 10000 character limit). :eek:

tbh that muich code then images on top must kill 56k users.

ionsurge
03-21-2003, 06:29 PM
lol, it does look professionally done, and my IE likes it fine, like any other website, both here and at work.

mattover-matter
03-21-2003, 08:00 PM
unessciscarry(ugh, bad spelling) tables and cells. It probably has a big asp/php database to change it, which is why they did it like that. I dunno though

Morgoth
03-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Hold on. I can't get any source code in IE6 :confused: How odd. :rolleyes:

Yeah my IE6 opens the souce fine...

You need to try again or look into that problem.

redhead
03-21-2003, 11:34 PM
mine too...

methinks that maybe not all them tables are necessary... well over seven hundred lines:eek:

when i filtered out all the html tags and line breaks etc the text fitted onto 12 lines...

kind of brings a whole new side to the age long design vs content thing... ;)

cg9com
03-21-2003, 11:45 PM
mouse, perhaps clearing your IE cache?

whitty
03-22-2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by cg9com
mouse, perhaps clearing your IE cache?

Yes that'll do the trick. I experienced this problem myself when I upgraded to winxp. I've talked to a few people who also had the same problem and clearhing your internet temp files will fix it.
It comes and goes though. Somtimes it'll work when I try to view a source and others it won't. I find that clearing the cache always solves it. :)

Morgoth
03-22-2003, 05:29 AM
That doesn't make any sence!

You still have to download the source, the broswer views it, why can't you?

If that cache thing works, tell me, and then, you might have to tell me why!

cg9com
03-22-2003, 05:32 AM
I understand your logic Morgoth, but it can makes things wierd.

jkd
03-22-2003, 05:37 AM
Key word..
TABLES

If you don't know what a table is, then you might want to start over...

Tables in tables, tables beside tables, one large table to keep many little tables in!

So many methods, it's not hard..
TABLES!

No! This is exactly why the web is a mess! Abuse! Soooo much abuse of HTML.

Tables are for tabular data, and are not a presentational tool. That layout is easily accomplished in significantly less code using semantic markup and some CSS to position it.

Morgoth
03-22-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by jkd
No! This is exactly why the web is a mess! Abuse! Soooo much abuse of HTML.

Tables are for tabular data, and are not a presentational tool. That layout is easily accomplished in significantly less code using semantic markup and some CSS to position it.

I do not believe CSS is any better then using good old HTML to do what it was designed for... Before CSS. CSS is magic, it works wonders, and the way it works? Beautiful... I would suggest to anyone to try to find a way to layout their data with CSS.
But...
Their are downsides to using CSS, older versions of NS don't process it well, and some tags, not at all. I also do not like the way some things on it work, but live with it, because it protects the design of your site.

I also bring the fact in that, if this person (no offence) says "Can someone please tell me how to build a website like www.channel4.com ", I honestly doubt they know very much html, and if they know very little html, I doubt they would know enough CSS to do it CSS.

I strongly suggest you understand code before you use it. If you don't understand why it's there, and how it works, and you don't know what happens if it's removed, you should probibly do some research before using it.

I should of said that there are two ways, though; Html and CSS.

Morgoth
03-22-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by cg9com
I understand your logic Morgoth, but it can makes things wierd.

What do you mean, "make things werid"?

cg9com
03-22-2003, 06:07 AM
What do you mean, "make things werid"?
in reference to mouse's view source problem.

mouse
03-22-2003, 06:30 AM
btw clearing the cache worked. My cache was ~1gb :eek: which may explain the problems...

cg9com
03-22-2003, 06:37 AM
btw clearing the cache worked. My cache was ~1gb :eek: which may explain the problems...
point proven.
1gig holy cow, i know ive had cache problems but, lol.

ionsurge
03-22-2003, 02:41 PM

lol reading that has just made my day.... thanx mouse... :)

mouse
03-22-2003, 02:57 PM
No worries. :):D

/ hands in notice as Computer/PC issues moderator.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum