View Full Version : close pop-up using window.close()

calicoder
05-16-2009, 11:41 PM
greetings. first post here. thanks in advance for any help.

I am using the following code in to open a pop-up window (in Flash hence the actionscript tags ..):

getURL ("javascript:window.open('http://www.mydomain.com/radio/player.php','radio','width=275,height=100');void 0;")

This is working fine. My problem is how to close this window from other pages on the website.

I have tried:

radio.close()

And it is not working. What would be the correct javascript to use to close the pop-up window that is opened using the code above?

Thank you,
calicoder

Old Pedant
05-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Not sure you can close a window that was opened from Flash, but if you can...

One not-so-well-advertised fact is that you *can* "find" a window on a page by its name, assuming that your code opened it.

So you could do:

var radioWin = window.open("","radio");
if ( radioWin != null ) radioWin.close( );

Note that you don't pass a URL to the window.open. In this usage, *if* the window of that name already exists, you get a handle to it.

Caution: If the window of that name does *NOT* exist, this code will open one (blank) very briefly until the close( ) then closes it.

NOT TESTED IN ALL BROWSERS! Works in MSIE and FF.

Note: YOU must be the "owner" of the popped up window, of course. That is, your code must be. That's why I worry about invoking this from Flash: Not sure whether the browser sees Flash as same "owner" or not. I'd be curious to know if it works.

calicoder
05-17-2009, 03:45 AM
that worked perfectly!!! i was stuck on the name assign from the pages to close the window. thank you so much!

adios
05-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Always liked that trick, OP.
Thanks for helping the OP.

btw is it just me, or is someone playing with the buttons around here?

Old Pedant
05-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Oh, it's probably me.

My wife says I'm always leaving the second from the top button of my shirt unbuttoned.

<grin/>

Yeah, and the icons have changed color a bit, too.

Probably installed a new version of the forum code.

CaliCoder: Thanks for confirming that it works even from Flash.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum