View Full Version : Google rank + domain names ??

03-19-2003, 03:32 PM
Hi guys

I was just wandering if for example I have a domain name which is www.cottage.com and I submitted it to google and it got listed etc.

When someone types in the word cottage just on its own will it check if there is a domain www.cottage.com and put it high up ??

I know it is all to do with loads of other factors but will that help alot.

I have just noticed on somethings I type in it does this. It could just be because of the sites popularity but im just checking.

thank you - :thumbsup:

03-19-2003, 04:36 PM
It will not put your site up top if it matches your domain name.

It ranks in terms of links you have within your site, and whether it is updated on a regular basis.

There is a document that talks about it in Google, I can't remember though where it is.

03-19-2003, 04:50 PM
the doucment is probably on google.com under website info or something

03-19-2003, 04:55 PM

03-19-2003, 07:21 PM
However, google does give more 'weight' to the domain name and home page than any other factor directly present on your site. Yes, link popularity is still a high factor, but your domain name being that direct would, in fact, have an effect on the potential of increasing rank on google. (but also remember that having a site that specific would have a very easy chance of being dilluted due to other factors, unless you kept great care in relevant presentation/linking)