View Full Version : Hosting

Jan
03-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Hey ya!

I'm not sure if this thread fits this forum, so if any of the moderators thinks it should go somewhere else, please put it there. Okay, so I'm about to buy myself a domain address and some space. I would like to put up some multimedia (video clips and audio samples < 2-3 mins from a couple of movies), but since they're probably copyrighted I don't know if I should. The thing is, that if I don't have any multimedia, the site will probably be kinda boring. I have tried to contact different copyright holders, but I can't get in touch with them (and I'm sure they have more important things to do). So, is there a big chance that I could be sued or something? Or, if not, someone might ask me to take down the files, and then I've bought the domain for nothing.

What would you do in this situation? The files I'd put up would only be to promote ppl to buy movies of this certain deceased actor. Help me!

~Jan

ronaldb66
03-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Jan,

what is the goal, the purpose of your site? If it is:

to promote ppl to buy movies...
that definitely sounds like a commercial venture and you absolutely must have permission from the proprietor of those clips to use 'em.
If the focus is on mentioned actor however, i'm sure you can come up with something more personal then just a couple of clips... if you really fear your site won't be anything worth looking at without clips I probably wouldn't even bother putting it up.
Alternatively, try it out on some free webspace first (without clips); having an example makes things a lot easier to talk about.

Jan
03-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Okay, no, I think I have to try to clear things up (my bad, English isn't my mother tongue).

So, I'm making this site about a deceased actor - let's call him X, and I would like to put up video clips and audio samples from movies that X has acted in. And okay, I was exaggerating when saying that the site would probably be quite boring without the clips, but I believe that they play a important part for the visitors.
Since X has been dead for almost ten years now, I think it's important keep his legacy alive somehow.

Well, what do you and others think? Would I get in trouble if I'd put some clips up? Thanks!

~Jan

ronaldb66
03-19-2003, 01:11 PM
English isn't my mother tongue
Nor is it mine... :D
Anyway, if you want to use other people's material, get their permission; apart from legal consequences, it is the proper thing to do. If your site has no commercial purpose and is just to remember / revere a deceased actor, i'm pretty sure noone will have a problem with giving you permission.

ionsurge
03-19-2003, 03:38 PM
If english it not your mother tongue, then you may have some problems opening up to the english speaking audience.

Mind you, the fact that people search for content, and not how it is presented (yes it is true), your mother tongue should not get in the way of you doing so...

Good luck!

:thumbsup:

Jan
03-19-2003, 05:06 PM
ionsurge: I don't see what your post has anything to do with the question I asked. As for me, I don't have any problems "opening up to the English speaking audience", even though I may have difficulties explaining certain matters. And as for my initial post, I was in a hurry, and didn't explain my situation that clearly.

I have made several websites (in English have you), and people seem to understand them very good. I must admit though that you're right that the content is the most important part of the website, but how it's presented also has a great influence on the visitors. But what this has to do with the initial post, i do not know.

So, back to the topic, what should I do? I have mailed these copyright holders several times, but they don't seem to answer.

beetle
03-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Be persistent. Send them a letter a week, just like in Shawshank Redemption :D

webmarkart
03-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Don't get discouraged Jan, your English is better then plenty of Americans!

beetle
03-19-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by webmarkart
Don't get discouraged Jan, your English is better then plenty of Americans! Ya, like yours :D

"Don't get discouraged Jan, your English is better than that of many Americans!"

or

"Don't get discouraged Jan, you speak English better than many Americans!"

hehe

webmarkart
03-19-2003, 06:09 PM
And yours...

Ya, like yours

Since when did 'ya' sneak its way into the dictionary?

beetle
03-19-2003, 06:17 PM
It's not in the dictionary, but it's a colloquialism, not an overt grammatical error.

webmarkart
03-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Had I realized that I was going to be graded I would have taken more time to proof read. You must be so much smarter than me!

beetle
03-19-2003, 07:41 PM
Sorry, but you were making a comment about peoples' capabilites with English and I just couldn't help myself. :p

All in good fun :D

cg9com
03-19-2003, 09:31 PM
beetle, dont not make fun of people just because they cant not talk english.
some people are just more better then other people.
:D:D:D

look at I, me speaks perfectal english

krycek
03-20-2003, 12:37 AM
is it because I is black? :confused: LOL :D - Ali G

...or because I speaks the English quite strangely? ;) - Borat

::] krycek [::

ddubs
03-20-2003, 04:00 AM
well i for one would say that as long as your not promoting your site heavily and can keep it on a free server, say a school project or somethin....then put the clips in.
just be prepared to be flamed for doing it...i have been.

but don't sweat it if its just your little site.

don't take my advice...you may get arrested.!@

Jan
03-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys for your kind words. But hey, if I decide to put up a couple of clips, what's the worst thing that could happen? I mean, there are lots of sites out there with copyrighted material (ie. pictures and mp3's), and they aren't forced to shut down.

I could make the clips streaming to stop people from downloading the clips, right? Okay, there ARE ways to download them anyhow, but I don't think the typical visitor knows about that. Besides, a website about an actor, is somehow incomplete if there aren't any video clips or atleast audio samples.

Thanks again guys.

~Jan

annoyin no0b
03-24-2003, 03:28 AM
whoa... for not havin english as y'all's native tongue you peoples speak it better than me...

hablo espanol un poco...

but besides that im a dirty cracker!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum