View Full Version : a:hover and "parse error none"

soap_box
05-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Can anyone tell me the right way to have link colors change for hover/active etc.

I have this in my style sheet:

a {text-decoration:none;}

a:link {color:#5ba5ba;}
a:visited {color:#09C;}
a:hover {none; color:#0FF;}
a:active {none; color:#09C;}

When validating I get the following errors:
a:hover Parse Error none
a:active Parse Error none

What is the right way to do this so I don't get an error?

brazenskies
05-13-2009, 01:10 PM
what is the 'none;' for in hover and active? Get rid of that

adios
05-13-2009, 01:14 PM
This is a style declaration: color:#5ba5ba;
This ain't: none;

attribute: value;

http://www.hwg.org/resources/faqs/cssFAQ.html#ruleset

Rowsdower!
05-13-2009, 01:16 PM
what is the 'none;' for in hover and active? Get rid of that

I'm betting what we're after with that "none;" is either some vestigial code or else the OP meant to use text-decoration:none; to avoid underlining on hover.

adios
05-13-2009, 01:24 PM
vestigal code :cool:

Is that like ".. the mouse slipped from all the French-fry grease on my hand .."

soap_box
05-13-2009, 01:27 PM
This is directed at myself:

http://www.facepalm.org/images/03.jpg

Rowsdower!
05-13-2009, 01:27 PM
:cool:

Is that like ".. the mouse slipped from all the French-fry grease on my hand .."

I don't get the joke, but after you quoted me I realized I made a typo...so...thanks! ;)

brazenskies
05-13-2009, 01:28 PM
some vestigial code

I like the though of html being an animal!

soap_box
05-13-2009, 01:30 PM
in my defense the validator error: "parse error none" was a bit confusing. I thought it was telling me there was no parse error where there should've been, which made no sense.

adios
05-13-2009, 01:32 PM
I was referring to sloppy editing, and leaving bits and pieces around behind you. Funny, I didn't even notice the misspelling. I googled both 'vestigal' and 'vestigial' and it appears that both are, if not equally esteemed, legitimate. Go figure.

soap_box
05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Hey, hey, gimme a break, "sloppy" is a bit harsh :p Those two errors were the only ones I got straight away in 2 large style sheets!

Rowsdower!
05-13-2009, 01:35 PM
in my defense the validator error: "parse error none" was a bit confusing. I thought it was telling me there was no parse error where there should've been, which made no sense.

No need to explain. We've all been there before, I'm sure. Welcome to another great "aw, man" moment!

Rowsdower!
05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I was referring to sloppy editing, and leaving bits and pieces around behind you. Funny, I didn't even notice the misspelling. I googled both 'vestigal' and 'vestigial' and it appears that both are, if not equally esteemed, legitimate. Go figure.

Ahhh, I see now.

And, yes, google will post up results for both ways but I've always seen it with the other "i" so that's what I'm sticking with! :p

soap_box
05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah we've all found stupid semi-colons hanging around our css and accidentally missed the closing tag here and there, but we don't normally make threads about it before we spot it, haha :p

adios
05-13-2009, 01:37 PM
How many times have I told you: no French fries while editing CSS!

Always with the French fries ...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum