View Full Version : Changing host - Need a way to zip/unzip

AlexV
05-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Hello!

I want to create a big zip of my whole website (thousand of files for a total just over 1 GB).

I tried to download all my files with a FTP client but it's always failing after a couple of hours.

What I want to do is to remotely zip all my files, download the zip result, upload zip to new host and unzip remotely.

I already have the unzip part, but I don't know how to recusivly zip files in many folders...

Anyone can help?

I use PHP 5 on both hosts.

Fumigator
05-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Does your current host use cPanel? There is a backup utility you can use in cPanel that compresses everything for you. If not, can you get SSH access? YOu can create a TAR file from the shell prompt if you have the access.

AlexV
05-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Yes to both questions but to my new host only :( Old host don't allow SSH and have their own contol panel...

kokjj87
05-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Have you tried this class?

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/3864.html

Fumigator
05-06-2009, 06:31 PM
There are PHP extensions that will zip/unzip files programmatically but they're not enabled by default... if you can't even gain SSH access then I doubt you can install an extension. What about FTPing a little bit at a time?

AlexV
05-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Have you tried this class?

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/3864.html

Not this one but a sililar one on the same site without success, will try this one later tonight...

There are PHP extensions that will zip/unzip files programmatically but they're not enabled by default... if you can't even gain SSH access then I doubt you can install an extension. What about FTPing a little bit at a time?

Yeah I use PHP's ZipArchive class on my new host and pleased of it's ease of use. Unfortunatly my old host don't have it installed... I'm so glad I'm leaving them far behind ! I guess I will need to download my site parts by parts if the ZIP lib of kokjj87 don't work...

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Another alternative is to install net2ftp on both servers. After doing so you can ftp into your older server and then your new server. It will get the files from your old server and put them on your new server. It may take some time.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum