View Full Version : updating data in a database

05-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Here's what i basically want to do :

A user, in this case a teacher, by selecting an appropriate option to be able to update data concerning his students absencies reports.

Here's what my table for the students' absencies looks like (nevermind the greek)

And here's what my browser shows up (yes thats in greek too but you'll get the idea):

Here's my code :

if ($teacherclass=="e") // if teacher selects the EDIT option from a dropdown menu
include ("config.php"); // just plain connecting to the database
or die("Cannot connect to database");
mysql_query("set names utf8;"); //

echo "<br>Your class is :";

$myclass= $_SESSION['myclass']['class']; // That's a session started when the user logged in with his class.

echo $myclass; //e.g. B1
echo "<br>";
echo "<br>";

$query = "SELECT * FROM absencies WHERE class = '$myclass' " ; //shows all students that are in the same class as the teacher/user is
$result = mysql_query($query);

while ($row= mysql_fetch_array($result)){

echo "<table width=800 border=1 cellpading=1>
<td><b>Real name:</b></td>

<td> Unjustified absecnies of Year 1 , Semester 1 :</td>

<form action='absencies.php' method='POST' accept-charset='UTF-8'>

<input type='hidden' name='submitted' value=1>

<input type='text' name='A1a'>
<input type='submit' name='submit' value='Edit'></td>

<td>Justified absencies of Year 1, Semester 1 :</td>
<td>". $row['A1d']."</td>
<td><input type='text' name='A1d'><input type='submit' name='submit' value='Edit'></td>
<td>unjustified absencies of Year 1, semester 2:</td>
<td><input type='text' name='A2a'><input type='submit' name='submit' value='Edit'></td>
<td>Justified absencies of Year 1 , semester 2:</td>
<td><input type='text' name='A2d'><input type='submit' name='submit' value='Edit'></td>

etc. for all semesters

if ($_POST['submitted']==1) {

// THIS WHERE I SHOULD enterMY queries *update" etc.

My problem IS HOW TO UPDATE the fields withouf UPDATING all of them but one at a time.

Ok I used the loop to show the students status however i dont want to get a loop updating every single student. But just the one i choose.

05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
You'd need to write separate queries, like

if(isset($_POST['A1d']) /* && some conditions to validate the value comes through this input*/)
mysql_query(/*"query to update the corresponding fled" */) or die(mysql_error());