View Full Version : push centered div to top of page?

queirdo
05-04-2009, 02:37 AM
Here is what I have so far:
http://queirdo.com/index2.htm

I just want to center the #content div and have it at the top of the page. I can center it with margin:0, but then on every browser tested (except IE of course because it always does it's own thing) there is a gap between the div and the top of the page. If I try to absolute position it to top:0px it will no longer be centered.

How can I fix this?

(Why I am using this layout: I have background images that I want to extend on both sides on larger resolutions, but they won't fit on the page with content on 800X600 resolution, so I just want them to disappear when the window is that small. They need to match up exactly with an image I will put in the #content div, so I need it to be in the same place on every browser. I've tried a bunch of other ways to accomplish what I want, but nothing has worked so I'm trying 2 divs underneath the main content to put my background images in, extending from the center.)

Excavator
05-04-2009, 02:52 AM
Hello queirdo,
Try changing
html, body {
margin:0;
padding:0;
}
to this -
* {
margin:0;
padding:0;
}

queirdo
05-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Yes, that works. It turned out it was the margin or padding on the paragraph inside the div that was shifting things down. Thanks!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum