View Full Version : "Wildcards" for PHP directory names?

FM4k
05-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey all - silly question: Is it possible to use some sort of "wildcard" character for directory names?

I ask because I've thought about using directories with "blank" names for security purposes, as an a user outside the server is incapable of viewing the folder... as the url would technically be "http://www.website.com/dir//file.ext" (which I think is rather sneaky).

So... yay or nay?

hthought
05-03-2009, 01:43 AM
How exactly are you going to create unamed folders? :cool:

venegal
05-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Concerning programming style, sneakiness is not at all a desired property.

You should use .htaccess to block outside access to folders.

FM4k
05-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Re: hthought - WinXP can create blank folders by using copy/paste during a rename using particular unicode characters; Windows won't paste the character.. but instead renames the folder as having no name.

I've done tests, and these folders work fine on all Linux, Mac, and Windows... oddly enough :)

And.. re: venegal - This is for a homebrew plug-n-play CMS (you just drop it on a PHP5 server and run it... and it works.) - So no htaccess is "allowed" for this one :(

That being said - Any suggestions? :)

venegal
05-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Why would .htaccess not be allowed? You just drop it on the server and it works too.

FM4k
05-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Only because it's possible that someone might also have an .htaccess file on their server already :)

I'm just trying to make this as idiot-proof as possible :P

So far, though, PHP doesn't seem to be able to decipher any invisible characters :'(

venegal
05-03-2009, 06:55 PM
But there already being an .htaccess file somewhere on the server poses no problem -- yours would just be sitting around in your own restricted folder, not caring about what all those other .htaccess files out there are doing. I implore you, forget about your blank directory name security solution.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum