View Full Version : Getting a bad reputation for helping

TinyScript
04-30-2009, 07:51 PM
somebody marked my reputation with a bad mark for providing this help.
http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?p=805221#post805221
I don't understand. what did I do wrong? The person said I was nasty to IE users. What do they mean? I provided a solution for the problem the poster had. Yes it required using firefox to make the image, but it then is usable with IE. How do I find out who left that remark? I'd like to ask them what I did. Was it showing people that firefox can do what IE can't? Are you bill gates or something?

LOL

_Aerospace_Eng_
04-30-2009, 07:52 PM
This isn't a matter for the forums and as to finding out who left the remark you'll need to contact WA and even then he may or may not tell you. Also this is in the wrong forum.

TinyScript
04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
there is no forum to ask questions about the forum. Sorry
Mods can remove the thread.

Apostropartheid
04-30-2009, 09:46 PM
It's called "Forum Feedback", and it's in the last subsection.

KevinADC
05-01-2009, 07:07 AM
somebody marked my reputation with a bad mark for providing this help.
http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?p=805221#post805221
I don't understand. what did I do wrong? The person said I was nasty to IE users. What do they mean? I provided a solution for the problem the poster had. Yes it required using firefox to make the image, but it then is usable with IE. How do I find out who left that remark? I'd like to ask them what I did. Was it showing people that firefox can do what IE can't? Are you bill gates or something?

LOL

This is not myspace, it means nothing and you should just forget about it.

bdl
05-01-2009, 07:15 AM
I totally agree with KevinADC. Don't get hung up on people giving you negative rep. If you want to help people on the forum, keep it up. Don't rely on rep points to make you feel better about your 'forum experience', just be consistent and make good, helpful posts.

WA
05-01-2009, 07:30 AM
I did a look up, and actually, it wasn't Grantmitch1 who left that particular reputation/comment, which is:

You don't have to be so nasty about it, nor dismiss IE users out of hand.

It's not really important who left it (it wasn't some random user just looking for spike). FYI I don't share the viewpoint that your post was being "nasty" to IE users, but that's the thing with reps- it's subjective. Typically I will only reverse a rep if it was given out of spike or for some reason other than a genuine interpretation of your post by the other user.

TheShaner
05-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Don't worry about it. People become bold when anonymous because it gives them some kind of feeling of "power" over you. I received the below rep two days ago for this thread (http://codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=165101), lol:

Do you ever thank anyone? I hate you.
The rep system is totally subjective, just like the thanks system. I only give thanks and/or rep when I feel someone really went above and beyond. I felt that I received decent help, but to me, not enough to give out some kind of reward. But what happens is that people get so bent out of shape on these systems that it becomes the only thing that matters unfortunately. I'm used to not giving out rewards, because I think those systems tend to corrupt the reason why people help (as perfectly exemplified by the rep I received). I hardly ever ask for help anymore on these forums, but I stick around because I enjoy helping others. I could care less what rep or thanks I get. I suggest you do the same and not worry about these unfortunate members :)

-Shane

oesxyl
05-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Don't worry about it. People become bold when anonymous because it gives them some kind of feeling of "power" over you. I received the below rep two days ago for this thread (http://codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=165101), lol:

Do you ever thank anyone? I hate you.
only me and you post in that thread so probably the logic is that I give negative reputation because you have 0 thanks. Seems that I'm evil and I don't know, :)

best regards

WA
05-01-2009, 11:26 PM
The member who issued TinyScript that reputation has just requested it be reversed, citing a misinterpretation of what was posted by TinyScript. So it's all good. :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum