PDA

View Full Version : Customized Error Page?

Scke_Xival
03-16-2003, 04:05 PM
How do you make it so that you make a customized error page if the address the user entered does not exist? :confused:

boywonder
03-16-2003, 05:15 PM
first make your error page, then you just need to let the server know to use it. On apache you can do it in .htaccess with something like
ErrorDocument 404 /errorpage.htm

On IIS you enter the url in the settings for the web site configuration. I forget where exactly but I've done it before. Hope that helps.

Scke_Xival
03-16-2003, 06:50 PM
how exactly do u set up a .htaccess ?

WA
03-16-2003, 09:34 PM
Here's a tutorial on .htaccess: http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml

Anyhow, this is a server side question, so moving thread...

paulstreats
03-17-2003, 12:20 AM
I just use plain old Internet Explorer myself. When this displays an error page, it just loads a standard one called error.html from your hard drive. you can see where exactly by entering a wrong page and seeing where it is by the folders it displays instead. So the easy way to do it here is to make your page, rename it error.html and swap it for the original file.

Nightfire
03-17-2003, 01:14 AM
Yeah, but you can't go into other ppl's PC's and change their error page :p it has to be done the ways shown above (serverside, not clientside)

paulstreats
03-17-2003, 02:14 AM
Ah, I didnt realise it was from the server side, Sorry!

But that's how I would do it anyway, not that I would spend my time actually doing it - I thought it sounded quite pointless and unnecessary!:cool:

P.S. You could try to get your users to download the web page or just copy the code.... :eek: Eek! OK I'll Give up now!!