View Full Version : Which browsers are ideal...?

swmr
03-15-2003, 11:19 PM
For testing design compatibility, which browsers, beyond the latest versions of Navigator & Explorer, would be a good idea to use?

brothercake
03-16-2003, 12:05 AM
My recommendations:

For core testing: moz, opera 7, and ie6

For secondary testing (if you can run them): safari or konqueror, ie5, and a small-screen device like WebTV Viewer or a PDA

For legacy and accessibility testing: netscape 3 and Lynx

krycek
03-16-2003, 02:32 AM
Forget Opera :p

Mozilla, IE6. Lynx. Nothing else is really neccessary. :D

::] krycek [::

Nightfire
03-16-2003, 03:08 AM
Can see this turning into a 'battle of the browsers' thread once again :rolleyes:

Mozilla and IE5.5(or maybe6) are the most popular browsers. I found that most ppl that aren't web intelligent only use the browsers that come with their isp. I've never heard of an ISP that comes with Opera or lynx.

brothercake
03-16-2003, 04:33 AM
Lynx is useful because it helps you to visualise how non-visual user agents (like search-engine robots and screenreaders) perceive your page.

Opera 7 is sufficiently standards compliant that you don't need to do separate testing, unless you're doing advanced DOM scripting or tinkering with CSS3.

But it has other features useful in a dev browser - you can do excellently cool things like disable stylesheets, or turn off images, from single-click toolbar buttons. And you can send a local file to the W3C validator, from the document context menu.

krycek
03-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by brothercake
Lynx is useful because it helps you to visualise how non-visual user agents (like search-engine robots and screenreaders) perceive your page.

...exactly :)

::] krycek [::

redhead
03-16-2003, 02:39 PM
i use these browsers for testing:

ie6, moz1, k-meleon.7 (occasionly does wierd things none of the others do...), opera6.05, and netscape4.7 (to bring some humor to my life :)... [and fustration... then i learnt that ignoring it is the best thing to do] ;)) and that lynx emulator thing... grand.

swmr
03-17-2003, 03:07 AM
:cool: Thank you all for the advice.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum