View Full Version : conflicting javascripts

jchiff
07-09-2002, 03:54 AM
This poor loser needs sleep, and some help! I have two pretty long scripts - one a drop down menu; the other a Quote of the Day script. Both begin with 'function land(ref, target)' along with some other matching code in the two scripts. Before I start trying to combine them so they don't conflict, is there any quick and dirty advice for me? Other than 'go to bed and start again in the morning?' :) MANY THANKS.

ronaldb66
07-09-2002, 09:47 AM
If the functions you mentioned are exactly identical you could delete one; otherwise, change the name of one slightly, and don't forget to alter the function calls in the script accordingly!

It would be a great help if you could show the code how you implemented it.

Last note: go to bed and start again in the morning... :D

Soldier Bob
07-09-2002, 03:52 PM
If you editor doesnt have one, toss it and get a real editor.

append 'menu_' to all the drop down menu function names and append 'day_quote_' to the quote of the day function names.

I am guessing if more then one function is the same, someone forgot what problems this causes? And I am guessing that there would be more scripts out there like this that will cause future confilcts if added.

Appending a unique id to the front of the functions should make them not conflict.

you could use 'a707-4123_' for that matter, but using something that makes more sense to what the functions are used for will help in maintenance. Just make sure that it 'IS' unique.

-S. Bob

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum