View Full Version : Front page too big

res
03-14-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi,

I got a comment about our departments webpage (http://www.cyber.rdg.ac.uk/) which i created saying that perhaps it was to large, not in the amount of data (KB) but that it filled up to much of the screen, in fact you have to scroll down a bit to view all the content. Other departments webpages only fill up one or less screens.

I was wondering, what is a reasonable size for a front page? Should it fit onto one screen (this is subjective i know depending on what resolution you use), or does it really matter that much?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers, :)

Richard

tommysphone
03-14-2003, 12:40 PM
In an ideal world every page would fit on a screen without having to scroll and........ Oh, N*ts to that :)

I am viewing at 1024*768. The page is a bit long but (BUT) as long as the important information is visible without scrolling (in any direction) I see no problem. Perhaps make the page "wider" by using the whitespace on either side to bring the info at the bottom upwards. Consider utilising a banner add for open days info link etc that way you can save more space. Also bring latest news up the page.

Good luck and I hope this was objective enough for you.

oracleguy
03-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Yeah I think it is fine, imo.

I like the design too btw. Good job.

Roy Sinclair
03-14-2003, 08:09 PM
If you want to bring more content into view for those running at lower resolutions try shrinking the big blue page title somewhat.

Other than that, I don't see much you could do with it

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum