View Full Version : IT'S ALL FOOLS DAY TOMORROW. APRIL 1st

effpeetee
03-31-2009, 11:02 AM
IT'S ALL FOOLS DAY TOMORROW. I'm lucky. I get two birthdays each year!:D

x=minus b, plus (or minus) the square root of b squared minus four times ac / all over 2a - where [(ax) squared plus (bx) plus c = 0]

So there!

Things are more like they are now than they ever were before. - Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Frank.:eek::confused::p

Phaw!

bazz
03-31-2009, 11:15 AM
nope. :confused:

means little to me though, I see bit of a quadratic equation in there.:eek:

bazz

effpeetee
03-31-2009, 01:38 PM
It's supposed to be the way to solve a quadratic equation.

I don't know how to type the actual symbols in so I have had to do it this way.

I was taught it in 1938 and have not forgotten it, even though I have never used it.
They taught us well in those days.

Frank

bazz
03-31-2009, 10:08 PM
lol.

nothing so bad as having to explain a joke but, I didn't get the connection between your first line and the formula. Was nver brilliant with maths ( :) ) so that perhaps explains why I didn't get it.

bazz

FordRanger8899
04-01-2009, 03:44 AM
LOL
Do you have something planned for someone special?

Tomorrow is the day my son can get his learner's permit (15yrs+9mos.)
He's afraid that I'm going to say "April Fool!!"
(I'm not!!)

effpeetee
04-01-2009, 07:19 AM
LOL
Do you have something planned for someone special?

Tomorrow is the day my son can get his learner's permit (15yrs+9mos.)
He's afraid that I'm going to say "April Fool!!"
(I'm not!!)
Not a very good day for me. My eldest son has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Fortunately at a very early stage. Life can sometimes be very trying. Some things are even worse than Vista and Microsoft!

Frank

VIPStephan
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
My eldest son has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Maybe it was just an All Fools Day joke? :p Reminds me of one of my favorit Family Guy scenes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80bx8HK6xPE&feature=related).

Nah, honestly: Sorry to hear that. All the best to your son.

abduraooft
04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
I was taught it in 1938 and have not forgotten it, even though I have never used it.
It's pretty shame to teach those same old things even now :p

Fumigator
04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
I was taught it in '86 to the tune of Row, Row, Row your Boat. It worked; I can still spew it back out-- as long as I'm singing it!

Row, row, row your boat,
gently down the stream,
merrily merrily merrily merrily
life is but a dream.

X equals minus B,
plus or minus the square root,
Of b squared minus 4 a c,
All over 2 a.

effpeetee
04-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Maybe it was just an All Fools Day joke?

Unfortunately not VIPStephan. We both wish it was. Wish us luck or better still, pray for us, that the correct treatment is used.

Another memory jogger for trig ratios.

Can Aunt Harriet, Smile Over Harry's, Tales Of Arabia.

Cos=Adj/Hyp. etc.

Frank

TheShaner
04-02-2009, 01:50 PM
I never memorized anagrams or anything like that. I didn't really have any teachers that taught me those.

For the quadratic, I was forced to memorize that for 8th grade algebra, and we weren't allowed in the door unless we could recite it back. I've never forgotten it since. :thumbsup:

As for trig angles, we just pronounced it as the acronym SOHCAHTOA. There was another trig formula that we pretty much sung for Pre-Calculus class. I wish I could remember it.

So many math classes, so many forgotten formulas. I had to actually look up how to do Matrix Algebra for work because I had forgotten how to do it. :eek:

-Shane

DarkLightA
04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Six Old Horses
Clumsy And Heavy
Trod On Andrew

I like that.. Especially since there's a guy in my class called Andrew XD

webinnosales
05-01-2009, 11:37 PM
April is finish...looking forward next year...

My birthday month!

peteyb383
05-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Some Old Horse, Caught Another Horse, Taking Oats Away

Old Pedant
05-05-2009, 06:36 AM
So three Indian (Native American) women are bragging about their children.

First woman: "I have only one son, but he shot and skinned a buffalo and made its hide into a rug for my floor, so I never get cold feet."

Second: "I have two sons, and they went out hunting and cornered a grizzly bear! They managed to kill it and skin it, and now its hide makes me a wonderful bear skin rug."

Third: "I have three sons, and they went to Africa and hunted down a hippopotamus. They skinned it and sent me this really great rug. The hide is so tough it will never wear out!"

Thus proving the old adage: The sons of the squaw of the hippopotamus are equal to the sons of the squaws of the other two hides.

[I know, I know...politically incorrect. But hey, I learned it back in the 1950s and I sure never forgot the Pythagorean Theorem.]

bazz
05-05-2009, 01:53 PM
lol (sort of) :o

:runs: the laughter police are coming after me for finding that quite funny when so non-politically-correct? :rolleyes:

It has actually knocked the real name of the hippopotamus clean out of my head. :eek:

PC is non-pc.!!

bazz

JessicaBrown
05-13-2009, 01:00 AM
funny, thanks :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum