View Full Version : What is the ultimate html/script editor

frontline
03-13-2003, 09:24 AM
What is the ultimate html/script editor BUT
something light like notepad with syntax coloring and some options ?
i know editplus and textpad , i mean something close to notepad++
can i add more functions to the windows notepad?
tanks for helping

tommysphone
03-13-2003, 12:39 PM
does it for me every time. Nothing messy, just black text and white background.

No fancy features just you and the code :)

Spudhead
03-13-2003, 01:04 PM
No fancy features just you and the code

... and no syntax highlighting, and no editable indents, and no code completion, and no multiple-search-and-replace, and no file management, and no user-programmable buttons, and no code checking, and no bookmarks, and....

You're right. Notepad ownz Homesite. ;)

krycek
03-13-2003, 01:14 PM
UltraEdit

or

Crimson Editor

:)

::] krycek [::

liorean
03-13-2003, 02:08 PM
Just ignore the others - they know nothing.

TextPad and UltraEdit are good tools, HTMLKit is excellent but only for html/xml.

If you really want to get something done though, there's a tool called SciTE. SciTE has syntax colouring for many languages, among them c/c++, javascript, vbscript, html (including asp/jsp/php), xml, ruby, python, perl, java. (Just to mention those you might use for web development.). It has an advanced search and replace mechanism, line numbering, brace matching, comments handling, lowercase/UPPERCASE conversion, word/symbol completion. It also allows you to enter Compile/Build/Go paths and the one feature that I think makes it better than TextPad, Source Folding!

If you hook Compile/Build/Go into Mozilla, IE and Opera, or hook them into tools such as Tidy or the CSS validator, you get most of what you wish.

krycek
03-13-2003, 02:29 PM
...I hope I was not included in the "others" who "know nothing" :p

My experience of SciTE has been that it is not as good as, say, UltraEdit.

Crimson Editor is very good seeing as it is for free.

HomeSite? I hate it! And I hate TextPad - it's ****. :D

Stick to the ones I mentioned - UltraEdit, or Crimson Editor for free. :) They both have syntax highlighting for all the stuff you could ever want - esp. UltraEdit. LOADS of features :) check it out www.ultraedit.com

cg9com
03-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Notepad, only the true coder can handle this one grasshopper

Quiet Storm
03-13-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by cg9com
Notepad, only the true coder can handle this one grasshopper

Plain... like vanilla ice cream - nothing to it.

If you want something with chocolate and sprinkles (http://www.ultraedit.com/products/features.html) (trust me, you will soon), I'd recomend UltraEdit32 (http://www.ultraedit.com/)

krycek
03-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Quiet Storm
Plain... like vanilla ice cream - nothing to it.

If you want something with chocolate and sprinkles (http://www.ultraedit.com/products/features.html) (trust me, you will soon), I'd recomend UltraEdit32 (http://www.ultraedit.com/)

yay another supporter :D

QuietStorm - are you using v10 yet? any difference to v9? I'm on 9.20b but haven't really got around to upgrading...

redhead
03-13-2003, 05:32 PM
editplus (http://editplus.com) > *

some dont like it... but i think that your editor is one of them things that differs between poeple... i mean, some poeple really like pepperoni pizza, and some like pineapple and ham... what suits one wont suit all :)

Quiet Storm
03-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by krycek
QuietStorm - are you using v10 yet? any difference to v9? I'm on 9.20b but haven't really got around to upgrading...

You know, I think I'm still on v8.somethin' - had a copy on CD when my computer crashed (I'm still not online). I love it! Learning new features all the time.

mouse
03-13-2003, 07:53 PM
EditPadPro (http://www.editpadpro.com) is the best in my experience, they do a freebie called EditPad lite too which is almost as good.

Ultra Edit is awful imo. :eek:

webmarkart
03-13-2003, 08:46 PM
How many times has this question been asked/answered? Everytime everyone agrees to disagree. My advice is to try as many as you can (there are free and evaluation versions available for most of the ones mentioned) and use the one that you feel most comfortable with.

krycek
03-13-2003, 09:14 PM
Here's one from earlier ;)

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11926

brothercake
03-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by liorean
Source Folding!
What's that?

btw - remember TextPad also has programmable macros, and multi-document regex search/replace, and you can write your own clip-libraries and syntax definition files, and it allows for P2P/LAN collaborative editing ;)

krycek
03-13-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by brothercake
btw - remember TextPad also has programmable macros, and multi-document regex search/replace, and you can write your own clip-libraries and syntax definition files, and it allows for P2P/LAN collaborative editing ;) [/B]

huh! :rolleyes: UltraEdit has all that and sooooo much more! :p

PS - Source Folding is where you can collapse/expand certain parts of the file, for instance, functions. Very useful :)

krycek
03-13-2003, 10:22 PM
Oh yeah, anyone wanting to use SciTE, this is the best version to download:

http://gisdeveloper.tripod.com/scite.html

It is preconfigured for most stuff. The syntax highlighting is great - as is the source folding. Pity it does not have as much stuff as UltraEdit, though :p

whammy
04-06-2003, 03:12 AM
I agree with brothercake (until someone can prove me wrong) - TextPad has the easiest clip library functions of any text editor.

In HTML-KIT you have to program it (not a biggie), but in TextPad you just copy and paste code into your clip library.

Actually Microsoft Visual Studio and Visual Studio .NET do this too, but I can't figure out a way to place the cursor position like in TextPad...

I've tried UltraEdit, and I just didn't like it at all... what's so good about it Krycek?!?

liorean
04-06-2003, 03:30 AM
Well, TextPad used to be my main editor before SciTE - but I never used the clip libraries, the downloadable macros etc of it - I have a templates library on my K partition (Yes, I have C through K (actually M) partitions. Makes things easy to keep track of), and I always use that.

As for UltraEdit, the features are on par with TextPad - some areas are better, some worse. I don't like the clunky interface or the miserable removal of some standard windows UI features that I really use, though.

SciTE is lightweight in comparison, but it has the core features that I actually used in both the above. (Well, except for the css syntax highlightning) And I like it.

<realisation mood="futility">Oh well - I'm not going to convince anyone to change, am I?</realisation>

whammy
04-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Heh, well I'll have to try that one out.

mattover-matter
04-06-2003, 05:19 AM
paper pencil and buttler works great. :p

duniyadnd
04-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Someone LONG ago suggested HTML-Kit on this forum. I took a look at that and got addicted and never used Notepad since.

http://www.chami.com

Duniyadnd

whammy
04-08-2003, 12:49 AM
HTML-KIT is not bad, but I actually purchased licenses for these three editors (after trying ALL of them, I think!), in order of purchase (although when I purchased 1., I had not tried 2., etc.):

1. EditPad Pro
2. HTML-KIT
3. TextPad

HTML-KIT has one nifty feature that TextPad doesn't have (at this time, anyway); and that's the ability to hit F6 to repeat your last "action" that you performed, even using code from a clip library.

EditPad Pro has the best overall multiple file search and replace, but TextPad's is not bad. The search and replace in HTML-KIT just plain stinks. :(

But the one I use constantly (in ASP/HTML/Javascript, anyway), is TextPad. It has almost everything you'd ever need, and it's FAST and STABLE. It's the only program I can use consistently to open many HUGE text files that won't crash. I still haven't tried out the editor liorean suggested though. ;)

The others I still use on certain rare occasions for some special feature, as mentioned above.

For .NET (although my experience in it is still pretty limited) I really DO like Visual Studio .NET - it even has a very similar clip library type functionality with the "Toolbox" - but that has one HUGE drawback for anyone considering buying it themselves; mainly the $1,000 price tag. :mad:

Nightfire
04-08-2003, 12:52 AM
I used to use text-pad, Ultraedit, editpad, but I think the best one I found was SciTE, although I never had the chance to test it fully

Spookster
04-08-2003, 01:35 AM
Notepad, pencil and paper, a six pack of budweiser.....that's all you really need to whip out a website.

whammy
04-08-2003, 01:36 AM
Too true, although I'd go for something a little better than budweiser. ;)

cg9com
04-08-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Spookster
Notepad, pencil and paper, a six pack of budweiser.....that's all you really need to whip out a website.
notepad, it so basic i cant not use it.
seriously alot of the features in the programs listed just get in my way.
i think you meant to say heineken. ;)

whammy
04-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Obviously cg9com hasn't tried TextPad... there's nothing that gets in your way (at all). That's what I love about it - it's pure simplicity (but with almost all of the power you might need in a text editor). ;)

Ok, I'll step off of my soapbox now. ;-)

oracleguy
04-08-2003, 02:13 AM
Okay since this gets asked so frequently, how about I just make a post with them all listed and make it a sticky?

liorean
04-08-2003, 02:14 AM
Ah, I blew it, then. I don't drink alcohol.

Can I make that up by color-coding my written code in permanent multi-coloured inc? (I actually have an early version of my ViewStyles bookmarklet written in that way...)

whammy
04-08-2003, 02:19 AM
If it's going to be a sticky thread, it should be a chart - of what features are supported by which text editors, ease of use, stability, drawbacks, etc.

;)

This probably (at least partially) exists somewhere...

meow
04-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Yeah. At every free and shareware site. :p

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum