View Full Version : insert checkbox value in separate column fields - mysql

isaiaha
03-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi

Thank you for any suggestions. Trying to know whether a checkbox is selected or not. would like a 0/1 value in each column in db as relates to each checkbox?

Example of how we'd like it to work

week1 - not selected
week2 - selected
week3 - selected
week4 - not selected

MYSQL DB

id --- w1 --- w2 --- w3 --- w4
1 ----- 0 ---- 1 ----- 1 ----- 0

however here is my code and it does create one row in the database and the correct implode values do appears based on what was selected (week2, week3) - however I don't know how to run through each of checkboxes and put a 0 in the ones that weren't selected and 1 in those that were selected instead of their value.

what's happening in my db

id --- w1 ---- w2 ----- w3 ---- w4
1 ---- (w2) -- (w3)

then obviously get the error that the column amt doesn't match. - I have the values inserting... however would like just a 0 for not selected and 1 for selected!

$summer_weeks = $_POST['summer_camp'];

$query = 'INSERT INTO userweeks (week_id, w1, w2, w3, w4, w5, w6) VALUES (NULL, ';

$add = "'".implode("','",$summer_weeks)."'";
for($i = 0; $i > $count; $i++) {
$add .= ",NULL";
}
$query .= $add.')';
*/
$result = @mysql_query ($query);

Thank you for any suggestions

Old Pedant
03-28-2009, 06:03 AM
An UNCHECKED checkbox sends *NOTHING AT ALL* from the HTML page to the server.

I am *NOT* a PHP programmer, *AT ALL*, so I don't know the easy way to do this in PHP, but I believe you could do something like this:

I assume that in the <FORM> you have

<input type=checkbox name="week1">
<input type=checkbox name="week2">
<input type=checkbox name="week6">

Note that the value= of the checkbox is of NO IMPORTANCE at all.

So then the PHP code:

$query = 'INSERT INTO userweeks (week_id,w1, w2, w3, w4, w5, w6) VALUES (NULL';
for($i = 1; $i <= 6; $i++)
{
$query .= isset($_POST['week' . i] ) ? ',1' : ',0';
}

Note that you should *NOT* try to get all the values of all the checkboxes in a single $_POST call, because HTML won't cooperate with you!

You *COULD* do it by using JavaScript to help: Upon submit, you have the JS code run through all the checkboxes. Any unchecked checkbox, it BOTH changes the value (e.g., from 1 to 0) and then checks it. But now you are dependent on JS in the browser for no really good reason. If you do it as above, it always works.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum