View Full Version : Block direct access to server if using IP instead of DNS to connect?

Rowsdower!
03-27-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm trying to locate the direct IP of a website I have hosted on freehostia. Why? Just because I like to be "insured" incase there is a DNS error at some point and I don't want to lose access. Is it a neurotic waste of time? Maybe, but it's my choice! ;)

The page uses a subdomain, which I understand can be accessed with an IP address in this fashion:

Standard URL:
http://subdomain.domain.com/

Direct IP Address:
http://01.02.03.04/subdomain/

Do I have this part wrong?

Anyway, I have used the IP address that is listed in freehostia subdomain manager section which is the same as the IP address that I pull up with an IP search on the URL (66.40.52.146) but so far no luck. Likewise, a hostname search performed on this IP addresses turns up no response from the server.

Even the IP address for base freehostia home page (66.40.52.145) won't bring up the home page for that site. Instead it brings up a blank white page that just says they're under construction. When you go for the actual URL (and connect through a DNS server, I suppose) everything comes up as expected.

All-in-all my question is this: Is it possible for them to configure their servers in such a way that users can ONLY access them when routed from a DNS server as opposed to trying to reach them directly via IP address? If not, what am I doing wrong here? Do I have any options or am I out of luck?

My Google-fu is not turning up any productive leads...

oracleguy
03-27-2009, 06:29 PM
All-in-all my question is this: Is it possible for them to configure their servers in such a way that users can ONLY access them when routed from a DNS server as opposed to trying to reach them directly via IP address? If not, what am I doing wrong here? Do I have any options or am I out of luck?

Yes that is possible and happens frequently with virtual hosting. If there are multiple websites being hosted on one IP address on the same port, it uses the DNS name to differentiate which website to serve.

djm0219
03-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Getting to a site via an IP address instead of a name is usually an exception rather than a rule. You really don't have any options.

Rowsdower!
03-27-2009, 07:42 PM
OK, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks, guys!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum