View Full Version : Completing a 'Where' clause from a query populated drop-down list

03-24-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm a total newbie and I'm stuck...

I'm trying to complete the WHERE clause in a MySQL SELECT statement from a drop down list that has been populated by a previous SELECT statement. I've got the drop-down list populated, but I haven't got the second query to run. Specifically here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a single table that list product brands and model numbers (2 separate fields).
The drop down list presents the brand names (via a SELECT DISTINCT statement).
I want to output a table of the model numbers after the user selects a brand name.

03-24-2009, 11:55 PM
You will need to use Javascript or send an AJAX request back to a PHP page to re-run a query and repopulate the second drop down list.

03-25-2009, 12:34 AM
If you don't want to use AJAX for whatever reason, you can submit the form as soon as a brand name is chosen, and use the resulting $_GET or $_POST info to complete the second query and populate the model numbers listbox. AJAX is a better solution though.

Another possiblity is to use PHP to build a Javascript array using every possible brand name choice and its children, and then it's a simple Javascript function to use the data in the array to re-build the second listbox whenever the first listbox changes.

03-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Thank you for the suggestions; I'll look into the use of AJAX (but like I said, I'm a TOTAL newbie to this). I apparently wasn't clear on what I'm trying to do here, which is to output a table (not a second drop down list) of the model numbers associated with a brand selected from the first (and only) drop down list.

I have been able to accomplish this with a text type input as follows:

<form action="<?php $PHP_SELF; ?>" method="POST">
<input type="text" name="name" />
<br />
mysql_connect("localhost", "username", "password") or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("myDatabase") or die(mysql_error());
$data = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tblSystems WHERE `brand` LIKE '%" . $_POST['name'] . "%'")
or die(mysql_error());
Print "<table border cellpadding=3>";
Print "<th>Systems</td>";
while($info = mysql_fetch_array( $data ))
Print "<tr>";
Print "<td>".$info['Brand'] . " ".$info['Model_Num'] ."</td> ";
Print "</table>";

So what I want to do now is replace the text type input with a drop down listing of all the brands in the table.

03-25-2009, 03:28 PM
You want to populate a drop down list with a columns SET options?

Query the database along the lines of

<td><select name='brand'></td>
$query = "SHOW COLUMNS FROM `table_name` LIKE 'row_name'";
$resultset = mysql_query($query);
$setColumnData = mysql_fetch_assoc($resultset);
$setString = substr($setColumnData["Type"], 6, -2); // the 6 means strip the first 6 chars, the -2 means strip the last two chars
$setOptions = explode("','", $enumString);

foreach ($setOptions as $option) {
echo "<option value='$option'>$option";

That will diplay a drop down option list in the form containing the brands in the SET row (presumably called brand)