View Full Version : Suggestion - Projects

Deacon Frost
03-12-2009, 09:11 AM
There should be a minimum post count for the market place. As it would seem, a lot of random people join up, post, and never return to see potential offers.

I know, from what I remember a few months ago, it was announced that 1 post w/o replies would eventually get deleted, but the area is really, rather just a bunch of spam =/.

It'd be nice to see an effective project area on this forum ^.^.

// end of suggestion

Rowsdower!
03-12-2009, 03:04 PM
I know what you mean and personnally I would love to see a filter that weeds out posts for "mafia" games to be coded. Ugh! What on earth is the obsession with these anyway? :rolleyes:

More seriously though, I don't imagine most people who are willing to pay for service are going to be veteran coders so we're probably looking at newer members for most work anyway (unfortunately). If we institute a minimum post count (for the sake of argument let's say 10 posts) then we're going to see people posting pure crap in other forums just to meet the need to post their job offer (or spam, depending on the user).

I'm not sure that there is any good way to discourage spammers without making legitimate users jump through hoops (and ultimately post their work-for-hire elsewhere). The best we can do (and are already doing I guess) is to allow members to report posts as spam.

Still, it helps to complain about it every now and then so this has at least been therapeudic. :thumbsup:

bcarl314
03-12-2009, 07:07 PM
My personal frustration with the project forum is the one-off $10 bids in the Small projects area. Most of these seem to be items that, if the poster wanted to, could get resolved free of charge by just posting in the right forum.

Maybe a better approach in the projects forum might be to segregate it into simply "maintenance" type projects (i.e. I need a programmer for ongoing work (a coupe hours / week) for my site), and new projects (i.e. I have a new project that I need completed start to finish).

I really think the problem here is a lack of commitment by some of the people posting jobs available. Either there's no ongoing work (for a $10 /job) or they don't have any solid budget.

My 2 cents.

WA
03-12-2009, 10:38 PM
This is something I plan to address the next time I make changes to CF. Those mafia/text game type requests may be banned altogether.

Deacon Frost
03-13-2009, 12:06 AM
My personal frustration with the project forum is the one-off $10 bids in the Small projects area. Most of these seem to be items that, if the poster wanted to, could get resolved free of charge by just posting in the right forum.

Maybe a better approach in the projects forum might be to segregate it into simply "maintenance" type projects (i.e. I need a programmer for ongoing work (a coupe hours / week) for my site), and new projects (i.e. I have a new project that I need completed start to finish).

I really think the problem here is a lack of commitment by some of the people posting jobs available. Either there's no ongoing work (for a $10 /job) or they don't have any solid budget.

My 2 cents.

What if we ran like a rent-a-coder system where the person has to pay the site the money for the project, and then someone accepts it, and when the OP downloads the completed work, the money is sent to their paypal address and such?

I know it's a lot of coding, but it'd be a good change for an incredibly active system ^.^.

This is something I plan to address the next time I make changes to CF. Those mafia/text game type requests may be banned altogether.

Project Collaboration isn't too bad on text games, but if the person can't show knowledge already in programming, then they shouldn't even be posting =/. But I look forward to what you will do with it ^.^.

oracleguy
03-13-2009, 12:33 AM
What if we ran like a rent-a-coder system where the person has to pay the site the money for the project, and then someone accepts it, and when the OP downloads the completed work, the money is sent to their paypal address and such?

I know it's a lot of coding, but it'd be a good change for an incredibly active system ^.^.

It is a good idea but I'm not sure if WA would want to do that just from the fact that running essentially an escrow service would be a fair bit of work. Plus it would probably bring more liabilities as well.

abduraooft
03-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Thank you very much WA. Those words irritate me just like the w-w g-ld :D

Rowsdower!
03-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Ah man, I love you...

It is a good idea but I'm not sure if WA would want to do that just from the fact that running essentially an escrow service would be a fair bit of work. Plus it would probably bring more liabilities as well.

This is exactly what my first thought was too. It would be a great service but it would be risky and difficult to implement. Too bad... :(

bcarl314
03-19-2009, 05:29 AM
Not to "air dirty laundry", but this post is exactly the type of post that I feel degrades us all as programmers / developers...

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?p=795178

Seems to me that the poster wants a complete web site, but doesn't know how it should work, and will pay $10 + some unimaginable commission IF the site ever makes money.

I don't know about you, but $10 for x hrs of work is still crazy low.

ohgod
03-19-2009, 04:33 PM

i'll hold everyone's money :D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum