View Full Version : help with session/include

textahead
03-08-2009, 06:21 AM
Im wanting to count each page a visitor goes to including if the same page is visited more than once ie; if MR X vivits INDEX.php then CONTACTS.php then back to INDEX.php I need it to count as 3 page visits. I then need a different .php page to display for each page visited. i have the php files loaded as fb00.php, fb01.php , fbo2.php , fb03.php ect ect. heres the code im using

<?php
if (isset($_SESSION['hit']))
$_SESSION['hit']++;
else
$_SESSION['hit']=0;
$try_file='fb0'.$_SESSION['hit'].'.php';
if (file_exists($try_file))
include $try_file;
else
{
$_SESSION['hit']=0;
}
?>

It works but only displays fb00.php and I need this to change with each new page
Thanks for any help

P.S. before anyone asks I need this because Im part of a banner exchange that requires a new banner to be displayed on each page. If you have the same banner on each page you get credited with 1 visit even if the visitor goes to 10 pages. If you have different banner on each page you will be credited with 10 visits rather than 1

tomws
03-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Are you using session_start()? You didn't specifically mention it and it's not in this code sample.

textahead
03-08-2009, 07:33 AM
yes I have session start on a previous page

tomws
03-08-2009, 07:41 AM
On a previous page? The function is required on every page where you want to use sessions. See the man page (www.php.net/session_start) and the others on the site associated with sessions.

EDIT: The man page doesn't provide enough information. Try a google for "php session_start". I'd provide some useful results, but my DNS doesn't seem to want me to see half of the interwebs at the moment. :(

textahead
03-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all your help. Ive figured it out. didnt realise you needed session_start(); on each page Thanks lots Cheers

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum