View Full Version : Site for review

03-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Edwin Brown (http://dev.edwinbrownmusic.com/) is currently sitting on dev but as soon as client approves site will go live.

Please be gentle - not my design I am just cutting up to fit in with the approved site structure.

Comments and Criticisms expected!

03-06-2009, 03:24 AM
Looks great to me, passes validation and everything. A+

03-06-2009, 08:08 AM

One small flaw in the "div#footer":

background-color: none;

That should be removed. Other than that everything else looks good!

03-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys for the warm responses.

I try to make my sites XHTML valid but sometimes can be hard if a client or our designers want to do something snazzy.

This one was a bit of a pain but managed to pull it off!

03-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi there,

the vertical white line in the above given link is broken(in FF2) at the bottom(attached a screen shot). Hope that's not intentional.

Also, I don't see any reason to use a javascript based hover and image based menu items. You could make the links by simple text with in anchors and then the effects by pure CSS (background-image property and :hover pseudo).

03-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't see that, but I tried opening the site in IE 7 and the top navigation does not load.

03-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I fail to see that white line in FF2. Maybe you are using widescreen?

03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Have removed the white line guys. Did not have time to fix the stretch before it went live.

The Hover navigation is just something I always place on my sites.

Just put the site live (http://www.edwinbrownmusic.com) and checked it it IE7. The naviagtion has disappeared. Any clue why? I am using z-index for certain div elements if that helps.

03-06-2009, 05:15 PM
body { / * main.css*/
background: #9a7737 url(/images/site_bg.jpg) repeat;
min-height: 313px;
overflow: auto;
font: 70% verdana, serif;
color: #000;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
div#site_wrapper {
width: 800px;
min-height: 321px;
margin:0 auto;
color: #fff;
overflow: auto;
padding: 0;
background: #000 url(/images/site_bg.jpg);
z-index: 150;
position: relative;

Your site is being displayed well in FF by taking the advantage of margin collapsing (http://complexspiral.com/publications/uncollapsing-margins/)

03-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Is it a bad thing to take advantage of what 1 browser provides where the other doesn't?

Obviuosly it can lead to the problems I encountered but is it better to do it the way you have shown or my way providing extra stlyesheets for other browsers?

03-06-2009, 09:40 PM
OP seems to have forgotten to update link, it's now at plain old http://www.edwinbrownmusic.com/

First, all the titles are ::::: Edwin Brown Music :::::, which doesn't really reflect the site structure. Also, the masses of colons seems a bit amateurish to me: it's simply good practice to just keep it bare and use little decoration.

Also, there is no point in that landing page. I would integrate the homepage into it. I was confused as to the lack of information and a little turned off from exploring by it.

Finally, the header deserves some sort of divider from the content. Maybe a white strip? I don't know, I just think it looks odd without one.

It's very pretty, though. Very pretty.

03-06-2009, 10:02 PM
CyanLight: Thank you for your comments. I will take them on board.

Re the ::: I kinda like that but do agree that it might not work in this case. I do usually just leave it plain and simple title followed perhaps by a small amount of description.

The splash page was not my idea. I think a homepage should just give you what you want, home. However the site is intended to promote the album launch which is later this month and after the launch date I am hoping I will be tiold to just have a redirect in place to go /home.

And thank you for commenting on the site style. I wish I could take credit for it but our inhouse designer did it up before going on holiday and I was left with the task of cutting it up and making it look like it was intended. In XHTML and CSS validation too!

I think it works.

03-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi guys,

Well, the launch has been and gone so thankfully I can remove the roadblock so browsers land directly on the homepage.

Added a small gallery slideshow (lightbox) of the launch night and was hoping people would try it in different browsers to see if it works.

I've run it on FF3 and IE7