View Full Version : . htm or .html

03-04-2009, 02:46 PM
will some kind person explain the differences between the .htm file and the .html file please.:D

03-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi Frank,

There is no difference from a functional standpoint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Html#Naming_conventions).

...originated because some early operating systems and file systems, such as DOS and FAT, limited file extensions to three letters.

03-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Technically, there isn't really a difference nowadays.

Earlier, though, on 3-letters were used after a '.', like '.doc' '.txt' etc. Now, more than 3 are allowed, so you can use '.html'.

I guess that if someone has a quite old computer, they can't open it, but most people don't now. I always use '.htm'; just to be on the safe side.

03-04-2009, 04:18 PM
The reason the HTM extension was available is because of the 8.3 filename restriction imposed by FAT in versions of Windows before 95. I find it a pointless exercise to continue with HTM: it's a continuing trend to completely drop the three-letter filename rule (cf. the docx, xlsx, mpeg4 &c.). I've always used HTML, but as a web designer I'm relatively young. I also find HTML looks prettier. =P

03-04-2009, 04:30 PM
First reply said it, no need for any more duplicates!

03-04-2009, 04:35 PM
There is no practical difference. I use the .htm extension to serve web pages as content (MIME) type text/html and the .html extension to serve pages as content (MIME) type application/xhtml+xml. I set the associations via .htaccess in order to facilitate serving XHTML.

03-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks to you all for your informative replies. Why I asked was because some programs baulk at loading a file unless it is specific. Either htm or html. My own editor is a case in point. Henceforth I will use html always. (Promises, promises!)