View Full Version : Coding=Nerdy?

DarkLightA
03-02-2009, 08:32 PM
So... The title pretty much describes it.

Personally, I think it is, BUT I don't think being nerdy is a bad thing; as long as you enjoy it. How about you?

Fou-Lu
03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Yep.
This should be a poll methinks. BTW - isNerdy() == Profit.

Millenia
03-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Yep.
This should be a poll methinks. BTW - isNerdy() == Profit.
You got it wrong. isNerdy() == OpenSource.
;)

BoldUlysses
03-02-2009, 11:02 PM
You got it wrong. isNerdy() == OpenSource.
;)

Open Source Greg (http://www.homestarrunner.com/4gregs.html) = Millenia's alter-ego?

Apostropartheid
03-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I've always thought there was a distinction between geeky and nerdy. Being geeky is more...commonplace due to ubiquity of technology, and can take form in all type of people with at least basic intellectual functions, whilst being nerdy is still the not atypical stereotype of an acme-covered teenaged boy in his mother's bedroom. *realizes he missed the point* I'm a designer and my friends typically know nothing about technology yet I code. Meh?
@matt: wow.

oracleguy
03-03-2009, 01:42 AM
I've always thought there was a distinction between geeky and nerdy. Being geeky is more...commonplace due to ubiquity of technology, and can take form in all type of people with at least basic intellectual functions, whilst being nerdy is still the not atypical stereotype of an acme-covered teenaged boy in his mother's bedroom. *realizes he missed the point* I'm a designer and my friends typically know nothing about technology yet I code. Meh?
@matt: wow.

I agree, there is a distinction. I would say a geek is just someone that is skilled in a particular area, there aren't just computer geeks.

Whereas a computer nerd takes it to an extreme, not to say they are very highly skilled, more like someone who fails out of college because they can't stop playing video games (as one example). And they are usually more anti-social than the norm and have superiority complexes.

The way to put it I guess would be that a geek isn't necessarily a nerd but a nerd is a geek.

TheShaner
03-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Personally, I think anyone debating the difference between geeky and nerdy on a web coding forums is pretty nerdy :p

On a more serious note, I think defining what is "nerdy" is pretty silly. You just can't classify a job or a hobby as nerdy without some kind of logical proof. Logically, why is my hobby of playing sports not nerdy but computer programming for my job is? It just amazes me how certain pleasures for one person becomes nerdy to someone else.

If you think about how all hobbies, games, and such became nerdy, it's because of the stereotyping of the types of individuals that usually participate in them. The action itself is not nerdy, it's the group of people that are being classified as nerdy. But then you have to debate what defines nerdiness, and that in itself becomes convoluted since intellectuality doesn't define it, nor the social skills. And then the activities themselves become the definition of nerdiness, which was originally defined as so by the people who participate in them, so you're now arguing the chicken and the egg scenario.

To me, what is or isn't nerdy isn't even a poll or debate. It's like asking everyone what is cool and what isn't. I believe I'm awesome and I can offer my own proof :D, but I'm sure there are many that may disagree (cuz they don't know me of course :p)

-Shane

Millenia
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Open Source Greg (http://www.homestarrunner.com/4gregs.html) = Millenia's alter-ego?
Now you've found my true identity. I guess I should pack my bags and leave.

tosbourn
03-05-2009, 04:43 PM
The way to put it I guess would be that a geek isn't necessarily a nerd but a nerd is a geek.

This.

ZonaRona
03-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Personally, I think anyone debating the difference between geeky and nerdy on a web coding forums is pretty nerdy :p

On a more serious note, I think defining what is "nerdy" is pretty silly. You just can't classify a job or a hobby as nerdy without some kind of logical proof. Logically, why is my hobby of playing sports not nerdy but computer programming for my job is? It just amazes me how certain pleasures for one person becomes nerdy to someone else.

If you think about how all hobbies, games, and such became nerdy, it's because of the stereotyping of the types of individuals that usually participate in them. The action itself is not nerdy, it's the group of people that are being classified as nerdy. But then you have to debate what defines nerdiness, and that in itself becomes convoluted since intellectuality doesn't define it, nor the social skills. And then the activities themselves become the definition of nerdiness, which was originally defined as so by the people who participate in them, so you're now arguing the chicken and the egg scenario.

To me, what is or isn't nerdy isn't even a poll or debate. It's like asking everyone what is cool and what isn't. I believe I'm awesome and I can offer my own proof :D, but I'm sure there are many that may disagree (cuz they don't know me of course :p)

-Shane

Couldn't agree more...

bcarl314
03-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Simple:

Geek = Someone who bites the heads of chickens
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/geek?qsrc=2888

Nerd = small piece of crunchy, fruity candy.
http://www.knitwareblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/nerds.jpg

Man, what a bunch of dorks! :D

interwebmaniac
03-26-2009, 12:50 AM
if(coding.isNerdy == true){
internet.thisForum = fullOfNerds;
}else{
internet.everyone != nerdy;
}

lol

levicki
04-07-2009, 11:26 PM
IMO, every profession that requires knowledge which the one who is calling it nerdy doesn't have, can be defined as nerdy.

Mr.Java
04-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Personnaly i'm proud to be a nerd.

Doing IT
04-13-2009, 04:54 AM

:thumbsup:

...So, to sum things up, if someone calls you a geek or a nerd, thank them. If someone calls you a dork, consider going back to school and investing in some new deodorant.
-Source: What's the difference between Nerds, Geeks and Dorks? (http://geeks.pirillo.com/forum/topics/2300301:Topic:72733)

interwebmaniac
04-14-2009, 05:42 AM
there is definately nothing wrong with being a nerd =P

twodayslate
04-14-2009, 06:33 AM
I think I am more of a geek.
Nerd = Comic book guy
Geek = hipster designer

webinnosales
04-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Being nerd is not BAD...I'm nerd also sometimes..lol

j.smith1981
05-07-2009, 05:16 PM
If you think a nerd is what you think and a geek is what you think above, then I would be proud to call myself a nerd!!

Always looking to improve my computing ability, especially loving that programming for me personally its all coming together its amazing what ambitions I'm getting, especially understanding Jscript and VBA macro developments (I do these with PHP as a profession at work, allot of people demanding new features), actually a bit of a coding addict now!

I dont struggle at all mostly with social situations, I am a generally a quiet person anyhow and im very comfortable with that, but I must admit I do find it hard talking to random new people out of my circle of friends, so I think I have a touch of being a geek ish.

Been told also I have a very good sense of humour aswell so its wicked what friends of mine laugh at when I get a conversation I'm flowing with.

andrielle
06-04-2009, 05:50 PM

-Shane

haha word :thumbsup:

BrickInTheWall
06-06-2009, 12:01 AM
yea, I'm a nerd...I get out enough though :P

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum