View Full Version : thumbnails or GD module?

bazz
03-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Since forever, I have been uploading thumbnails and full sized photos. Was never able to get the same quality in a thumbnail when resized with css.

But is it still necessary to do this or can I use the larger image for both thumbnail and enlargement, without sacrificing any quality? (by resizing I also include the necessity to reduce the image weight)

bazz

oesxyl
03-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Since forever, I have been uploading thumbnails and full sized photos. Was never able to get the same quality in a thumbnail when resized with css.

But is it still necessary to do this or can I use the larger image for both thumbnail and enlargement, without sacrificing any quality? (by resizing I also include the necessity to reduce the image weight)

bazz
thumbnail are smaller in size and using css you make the pictures to look smaller but have same size like the original. The idea of uploading thimbnail is to decrease the loading time of the page using smaller size. Quality depend of picture format, jpg, gif, ..., by how many dpi, dots per inch, have and other things. Quality and size are oposite, so you must decide what is important for you and take the proper decision.

best regards

bazz
03-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks oesxyl.

I use thumbnails as separate images from the larger-sized one so that the page loads quickly.

I wondered if there was a module or 'thing' which could be used not only to make the large image show smaller but, also, to reduce its byte-size.

A couple of years ago I saw a 'pioneering way' of doing similar, where the 'invisible' parts were removed, as the image shrank. As I recall, this wasn't for a web page. But since it is two or more years since then, I wondered if there was a web based solution.

bazz

oesxyl
03-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks oesxyl.

I use thumbnails as separate images from the larger-sized one so that the page loads quickly.

I wondered if there was a module or 'thing' which could be used not only to make the large image show smaller but, also, to reduce its byte-size.

A couple of years ago I saw a 'pioneering way' of doing similar, where the 'invisible' parts were removed, as the image shrank. As I recall, this wasn't for a web page. But since it is two or more years since then, I wondered if there was a web based solution.

bazz
this is one:

http://search.cpan.org/~burak/GD-Thumbnail-1.30/lib/GD/Thumbnail.pm

but I'm curios if there are another, maybe better then that. I think that for now the place for this question will be in the perl forum. ( the most users in other forumes then perl will recommand you some php ways to do that, :))

best regards

bazz
03-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks oesxyl.

I'll look into that and the other modules whihc it has links to.

bazz

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum