View Full Version : UTF-8 causing trouble :(

sleidia
02-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I need some help with the following issue :
The accentuated characters of the content taken form the UTF-8 database gets garbled once displayed on my website.

What I don't understand is that everything seems to be properly set :

my.ini

[mysql]
default-character-set = utf8
default-character-set = utf8
character-set-server = utf8
collation-server = utf8_general_ci
init_connect = 'SET collation_connection = utf8_general_ci'
init_connect = 'SET NAMES utf8'

PHP header

header("Content-Type:text/html; charset=utf-8");

Metas

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8">

Table structure

CREATE TABLE `mod_geonames` (
`geoname_id` mediumint(9) NOT NULL,
`name` varchar(200) default NULL,
`latitude` decimal(10,7) default NULL,
`longitude` decimal(10,7) default NULL,
`country_code` varchar(2) default NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`geoname_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

So, what else could cause the problem?
I am at a total loss of ideas after extensive googling :(

Thanks for the help! :)

oesxyl
02-28-2009, 05:17 PM
So, what else could cause the problem?
probably the way you display the page. what charset you use in the page with this problem?

best regards

sleidia
02-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks so much for being here :)

The site being totally dynamic, all the pages use the same header as shown above , in UTF-8.

Out of desperation, I've tried one other thing :
I made a sql dump of the database and then pasted it in a UTF-8 sql file on pspad, then saved it and imported it again into the database. The result was that everything was displayed properly in the website this time ... but all is garbled when viewing the data in SQLyog :(

Note that I'm working locally on appserv/windows vista.

Any help will be highly appreciated :)

oesxyl
02-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks so much for being here :)

The site being totally dynamic, all the pages use the same header as shown above , in UTF-8.

Out of desperation, I've tried one other thing :
I made a sql dump of the database and then pasted it in a UTF-8 sql file on pspad, then saved it and imported it again into the database. The result was that everything was displayed properly in the website this time ... but all is garbled when viewing the data in SQLyog :(

Note that I'm working locally on appserv/windows vista.

Any help will be highly appreciated :)
post a link to a page with this problem if you can. I still think that is not a mysql problem. Maybe I could find something, :)

best regards

sleidia
02-28-2009, 05:49 PM
ahhhh sorry ... i can't show anything online :(

I think the problem must come from the database because my site use UTF-8 encoded flat text files for some areas and they are displayed correctly.

Only the data coming from the dabase is broken.

What I don't understand is that one table has been downloaded from www.geonames.org so I'm sure it's properly encoded.

Thanks again!

sleidia
02-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm starting to think that the site is OK, the database is OK too but, for some reason, the database content (utf) is sent as latin1 to the website.

But I have no way to prove/fix that :(

oesxyl
02-28-2009, 06:16 PM
ahhhh sorry ... i can't show anything online :(
no problem. I ask for a link with hope that I can discover something if can see the server response.

I think the problem must come from the database because my site use UTF-8 encoded flat text files for some areas and they are displayed correctly.

Only the data coming from the dabase is broken.

What I don't understand is that one table has been downloaded from www.geonames.org so I'm sure it's properly encoded.

Thanks again!
some ideas:
1. try a "show create table mod_geonames" from a mysql client if you have one and check if charset is utf-8, as you posted in #1
2. try to see the response headers for that page using web developer extension for firefox or in firebug -> net
3. check the in you browser what setings have for encoding. For example in firefox could be auto-detect off and encoding iso-8859-1. In case is not utf-8, force it to be utf-8 and see if get rid of the problem.

Unfortunately I can't help with something specific for vista since I don't use windows.

best regards

oesxyl
02-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm starting to think that the site is OK, the database is OK too but, for some reason, the database content (utf) is sent as latin1 to the website.

But I have no way to prove/fix that :(
try 3. and 2 from my previous post.

best regards

sleidia
02-28-2009, 06:28 PM
1. try a "show create table mod_geonames" from a mysql client if you have one and check if charset is utf-8, as you posted in #1

Did it and looks OK :

CREATE TABLE `mod_geonames` (
`geoname_id` mediumint(9) NOT NULL,
`name` varchar(200) default NULL,
`latitude` decimal(10,7) default NULL,
`longitude` decimal(10,7) default NULL,
`country_code` varchar(2) default NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`geoname_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

2. try to see the response headers for that page using web developer extension for firefox or in firebug -> net

Did that too :

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:20:47 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Win32) PHP/5.2.6
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.6
Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
Pragma: no-cache
Last-Modified: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:20:47 GMT
Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100
Connection: Keep-Alive
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

200 OK

3. check the in you browser what setings have for encoding. For example in firefox could be auto-detect off and encoding iso-8859-1. In case is not utf-8, force it to be utf-8 and see if get rid of the problem.

This too is OK. Unchecked auto-detect but still the same. UTF-8 is selected.
Checked on multiple browsers.

oesxyl
02-28-2009, 06:37 PM
only thing I have in mind in this case is that data from database is broken. Can you check some way if what you get from data base is what you expect?

best regards

sleidia
02-28-2009, 06:59 PM
What is totally weird is that Latin1 and UTF-8 are supposed to be the same for simple characters, right? It's not like I'm working with Japanse or Chinese.
I only use latin characters like etc... but they get replaced by question marks.

I don't get it.

As for your last suggestion, I don't know where/how to look at.

Anyway, I want to thank you again for your help.

oesxyl
02-28-2009, 08:14 PM
What is totally weird is that Latin1 and UTF-8 are supposed to be the same for simple characters, right? It's not like I'm working with Japanse or Chinese.
I only use latin characters like etc... but they get replaced by question marks.

I don't get it.

As for your last suggestion, I don't know where/how to look at.

Anyway, I want to thank you again for your help.
try to convert, using a server side scripting language, what you get from database from latin-1 to utf-8 and see if this will fix the problem.

best regards

sleidia
02-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Okay, some great guy on a different forum gave the solution.

Actually, I just had to insert
mysql_query("SET NAMES 'UTF8'");
just after the connexion to the database in the PHP code.

I hope it will help others.

Thanks anyway for the help you provided.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum