View Full Version : Pheonix downloads 404.asp instead of reading it

Cam
03-08-2003, 10:54 PM
I had my ISP set up a custom 404 option for me (i.e. rerouting 404 errors to a custom page) for a website that's on a virtual host.

Internet explorer uses it with no problem, but with Pheonix (a stripped down Mozilla), directing the browser to a non-existent page downloads 404.asp instead of loading it. It will load 404.asp fine if I go directly. I've looked through the file handline options , but don't see anything. I'm wondering if Pheonix is treating the redirect to a 404.asp as if it was an astound presentation file, instead of an ASP file.
Linux will sometimes treat ASP as media files.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Being hosted virtually, I don't have direct access to the server settings .

Cheers

Cam

brothercake
03-08-2003, 10:57 PM
I'm using Phoenix now - can you give us a URL

Cam
03-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Hi BC

Sure

The site is www.whitewaterontario.ca
- incidentally, I use your fine dropdown menu :-)

Cheers

Cam

brothercake
03-08-2003, 11:47 PM
It's not just Pheonix - it's all mozilla browser from netscape 3 onwards; in fact most browsers I tried did the same thing.

IE6 and Opera 7 were okay, but that's just luck (well, it's actually non-compliant content-negotiation on the browsers' part) - because for some reason, your 404 error page is being delivered as "application/octet-stream" - so a download prompt is the correct response.

Ring any bells with you? If not, I suggest you ask your host about it. My guess would be an error-negotiation script on the server is generating dynamic error pages based on HTTP status codes, but it's delivering them with the wrong mime-type.

Cam
03-09-2003, 12:02 AM
Hi BC

Thanks for the response. I'll send the information on to my ISP.

Cheers

Cam

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum