View Full Version : Navigation Issue: Suckerfish Dropdown IE

02-13-2009, 11:30 AM
I can only replicate this problem on some computers, and on IE but I notice that on this page:

the navigation (a suckerfish drop down css/javascript menu) the menus do not disappear when the menu loses focus, i.e. the user moves cursor off menu; they appear to 'stick' to the page.

Could someone throw some light on this?

02-14-2009, 09:46 AM
I can only replicate this problem on some computers, and on IE but I notice that on this page: It's working fine in IE6. I guess the issue is in IE7, an upgraded copy from IE6.

I had a similar issue with that sfhover function. So I replaced it with the method used at http://examples.codecharge.com/CCSExamplePack2/VerticalCSSMenu/VCSSMenu.php (You may view the source, to see the trick)

02-14-2009, 10:02 AM
I spent about 3 days solving this. It's actually pretty simple. All you do is apply a background color to the <ul> while they're on focus. I'm not sure why this fixes it, but it does.

#nav li:hover ul, #nav li.sfhover ul {
left: auto;
padding-left: 0px;
background-color: #FFF;

Here's a Suckerfish menu I did a while ago. If you look in the CSS, I even left a comment about this bug.

02-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks! that's a good fix. Though I think it's not background-color, instead just background. So background:none; also does the trick.

PS: It's funnier than hasLayout issues :)

02-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Oh yes, background: none; does work too. It wouldn't work on mine because of the borders dividing the links. As soon as the cursor hit the border, the menu would disappear. But in actionsigns' case, I think it'll work. Anyway, I think by the time I actually figured this out, I was so drained, I didn't even think to check that.

This is a pretty sneaky bug, because I think a lot of people fix it without realizing they have.