View Full Version : Learn Classical Guitar - please review

arthurakay
02-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a new site and I was hoping that I could get some feedback.

Site: http://dev.learn-classical-guitar.com

There's no content yet (all Latin filler text right now), so I'm really just looking for feedback on the design/layout.

Thanks in advance!

jerry62704
02-05-2009, 10:09 PM
I'd center the text in the menu and get rid of the border above the top image.

mlseim
02-06-2009, 12:45 AM
I don't like the font changes on the menu mouse-overs.
Going to bold font makes the line jump.
Instead, do a slight color switch, but leave the font-weight the same.

Also ...

This domain name is already taken:
www.learnclassicalguitar.com

But this domain is available ...
www.learnclassical.com

I recommend you buy that one ... pretty easy to remember.

Apostropartheid
02-06-2009, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't recommend branding with a domain name. To me, it makes it so...lifeless and generic.

abduraooft
02-06-2009, 01:35 PM
1)Vertically centering your horizontal nav bar inside that black strip would be fine, I think.
2)The top and left boundaries of your body element are not touching the edges of browser(FF)
3)There is only one heading tag, and that contains a simple "Welcome" message, which may not add up anything in search engines.

mlseim
02-06-2009, 01:43 PM
"I wouldn't recommend branding with a domain name. To me, it makes it so...lifeless and generic. "

CyanLight ... what does that mean?
They should make the domain different than the company name, or the other way around?
Discussions about that on other forums don't seem very clear to me.

Apostropartheid
02-06-2009, 01:57 PM
I mean the company name shouldn't end in .com. Instead of learn-classical-guitar.com, why can't the name be Learn Classical Guitar? I guess I've always felt that it abstracts the humanity from the company.

In this context, I think "Learn Classical Guitar" would look better whatever you felt.

mlseim
02-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Oh, I see now ...
I never thought of it that way.
I agree with you ... on the website itself, the .com part (and the dashes) don't look right.

Even having the domain name www.learn-classical-guitar.com and a totally different
name like "Guitar by John" (on the website itself) would be better than using the same
name with the .com as part of the name. Hard to explain, but something like that.

BoldUlysses
02-06-2009, 05:59 PM
I mean the company name shouldn't end in .com. Instead of learn-classical-guitar.com, why can't the name be Learn Classical Guitar? I guess I've always felt that it abstracts the humanity from the company.

Hmm...debatable. :)

What about a company that interacts primarily (or exclusively) on the web? If a company has some physical presence in the "real world" I can see the .com being superfluous, but what if the raison d'être of the site is to provide online tutorials and other services via the web? In that case I think the .com might be desirable. If, however, it's the web presence of, say, an instructor who gives face-to-face lessons, I definitely agree that the .com detracts.

Apostropartheid
02-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I would still argue that natural English is a better substitute. A List Apart, for example, hasn’t a real world presence, instead publishing its articles on the Internet. A domain wouldn’t. Google’s presence is purely virtual, yet it doesn’t have a suffix. I cannot recall an entity whose company name I would naturally remember as having .com on the end. Amazon and eBay use it; I’ve yet to hear an instance where it was referred to by amazon.co.uk or ebay.co.uk. Arguably, the domain suffix provides a good indicator as to location, but I will always remember Amazon.

Est-ce que vous parlez français, Matt ? Or were you just being clever ? =P

BoldUlysses
02-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Perhapsibly. But regardless of what you remember the site by or what sticks in your mind after visiting, upon a first visit, adding a .com would allude to a web-only presence, which, conceivably, could further the interests of the site.

Non non, je ne plaisante pas. Je parle français, mais mon vocabulaire est un peu rouillé. J'ai habité la-bas cinq ans (http://codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=146037). Comment penses-tu que j'aurais entendu parler des soutien-gorges? :D

Apostropartheid
02-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Yes, maybe, but surely decent copy would be the main thing which would subscribe that thought?

Ah, est-ce que où vous êtes resté ? Mon amie y voudrait aller. Et je ne sais pas, peut-être que vous êtes un peu bizarre, non ? Vous peuvez voir que je ne suis pas éloquent, mais j'essaye. Voilà.

BoldUlysses
02-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Most likely, but as you well know the non-verbal impressions a site makes through imagery and presentation (I include the ".com" in this category) are at least as significant as the explicit information communicated verbally. As they say, content is king--but if the online-only aspect of the website is significant enough why not express it using all the faculties at one's disposal? In this particular case that's something only the OP can shed light on.

J'ai habité dans la Côte D'Azur à Vence, une ville près de Nice. Ça me manque beaucoup--c'est surement le plus beau pays du monde (pour moi, au moins). Mon meilleur ami quand j'habitais là-bas était anglais. Je ne lui ai pas parlé depuis longtemps, mais je me rappelle que quand il a retourné en Angleterre il habitait près de Coventry, dans une petite ville qui s'appelle Leamington Spa. Je lui ai visité quelquefois. Bonne chance à ton amie! Et toi, tu ne te débrouille pas aussi mal que tu penses!

mlseim
02-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Assez de la conversation française s'il vous plaît!

jerry62704
02-06-2009, 08:56 PM
French? It's all Greek to me.

abduraooft
02-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Hey.. I think the OP ran away out of here :)

arthurakay
02-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Those are some interesting thoughts. I hadn't really thought too much about the branding yet, though I agree the way I currently have the "learn-classical-guitar.com" in my top graphic is a bit lifeless. I'll give that some thought.

If I understand correctly then, most of you like the layout (minus a better name/brand in the graphic)?

I'll work on vertically-centering the navigation text and removing the bold font.

Thanks!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum