View Full Version : iepngfix.htc + csshover.htc = Headache

Ibanez
01-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Hi all!

Hope this makes sense...?:confused:

Im working on a site that utilizes PNG's. One of these is a link (with the background image determined by css) within a div. I understand that IE6 also does not support a:hover, therefore I need csshover.htc...
My question is: Do I really need csshover for the rollover to work? And if so, how does one get them both to work, I have tried infinite situations and workarounds but to no avail...

Here is the link (http://www.ngb.co.za/test).
The image Im referring to is the globe(webmail)

Thanks!

abduraooft
01-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Why are you using csshover.htc in that page? I don't see any :hover property on any element other than anchor, for which IE recognises the normal :hover, just like any other browsers.

Ibanez
01-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Ok I thought when you mouse over something its a:hover, is it not?
What I wanted is for the globe (webmail.png) to rollover to (webmailactve.png) when you mouse over it...

Im still learning css so forgive me if get a bit confused...:D

jerry62704
01-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Hi all!

Hope this makes sense...?:confused:

Im working on a site that utilizes PNG's. One of these is a link (with the background image determined by css) within a div. I understand that IE6 also does not support a:hover, therefore I need csshover.htc...
My question is: Do I really need csshover for the rollover to work? And if so, how does one get them both to work, I have tried infinite situations and workarounds but to no avail...

Here is the link (http://www.ngb.co.za/test).
The image Im referring to is the globe(webmail)

Thanks!

You got it backwards. IE does support hover on anchor links. It doesn't support it on anything else.

BTW, congrats! You page is the first I've looked at that is error free.

Ibanez
01-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Ok wait... Sorry for a stupid question, but what is an anchor link?
And with that said I assume that I dont need the csshover then, but why would the iepngfix then not work? The images still has those grey borders in IE...

Thanks Jerry, I try to validate all pages and css and then fix the issues as they come up.:)

jerry62704
01-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Sorry, I was redundant.

IE hover works:
a:hover {color:red;}
<a href="#">Hovered text</a>

IE does not work on hover:
p:hover {color:red;}
<p>Hovered text except IE</p>

You will need some special stuff to get the second to work. Usually it is a javascript code to simulate the hover on a non anchor tag.

IE had a different problem with png images, unrelated to the anchor problem.

Ibanez
01-29-2009, 07:47 AM
No worries!

Ah ok I see... So theoretically what I have should work then?
The reason for my confusion (and incorrect use of csshover?) is because the author of iepngfix states limitations to the script here (http://www.twinhelix.com/css/iepngfix/demo/), and suggests one uses csshover...
So do you have any idea why its not working in ie?
Dont know if its worth noting, but when the page loads in ie and you place your cursor on the webmail button, it loads the webmailactive.png, but then its stuck...
Any suggestions?

jerry62704
01-29-2009, 03:22 PM
No idea. Never used csshover or iepngfix. Hopefully someone that does will jump in.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum