View Full Version : Details about IE8

drhowarddrfine
01-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Wired (http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/01/more-details-ab.html) highlighted some info about the upcoming IE8 release as well as some future info that Microsoft spoke of:

About web standards:

* The target for CSS support in IE8 is full and complete support for CSS2.1.
* The only CSS3 module in IE8 is writing-mode (for vertical text support). IE has supported this since version 5.x, so it will continue to do so.
* IE8 will not support CSS' border-radius, which is often used to make rounded corners without images. Microsoft's Chris Wilson confirms that border-radius support is "high on the wish list," though, and should make its way into the next release after IE8.
* There is no official roadmap for IE9, but native SVG support is likely.
* A new JavaScript engine is likely down the road, too. A user asked: "Almost all others browsers are now considering JavaScript compilation. Safari introduced SquirrelFish and last week SquirrelFish extreme in reaction to V8. Mozilla has also started working on ScreamingMonkey. Will IE9 have a new JavaScript engine?" The response: "We're certainly focusing heavily on improving Javascript, in IE8 and beyond. I'd expect to see great things here in the future."

RC1 does not show any of the above and Microsoft only claims full support for CSS2.1 is a "target". It's pitiful about the SVG and border-radius support. Javascript is somewhat improved in IE8 but the DOM support and CSS3 is still pitiful.

My very limited tests with HTML5 showed IE8 beta2 doesn't show up to play. We can only look forward to IE9 making a few more baby steps or hope IEs demise altogether. It should be noted that ALL of the above has been implemented in ALL the other browsers for several years now (I didn't look through the writing-mode though).

flynch01
01-24-2009, 06:39 PM
A link in your signature says everything that comes to mind for me. 'IE is 11 years behind the standards or wrong.'

Apostropartheid
01-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Definitely looking forward to IE9. Like it or not, IE8 has made some major steps over its predecessor. SVG and border-radius would be lovely, and I'd adore for the major browsers to stop messing around and get some unified support for web fonts. Alas, a lot of problems come with this...

primefalcon
01-25-2009, 01:35 AM
I say to hell with IE or windows in general tbh

DELOCH
01-29-2009, 06:49 AM
I don't like browsers that require genuine checks... -.-...

I rather stick with firefox :D.

Apostropartheid
01-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Really? Microsoft dropped the WGA validation for IE7--I don't think they're going to use it in the final of IE8 either.

liorean
01-30-2009, 12:23 AM
What is really missing from IE8 though is a radical DOM support improvement. THE most important issue on the scripting side is DOM Events support.

drhowarddrfine
01-30-2009, 05:46 AM
1000% agree.

primefalcon
01-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Have to agree with your signature Dr it says it 100% in my opinion

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum