View Full Version : New to Photoshop .... Need Help Urgently

chinmayu
01-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi All,

I wanted to cut out a button from a psd file, i managed to move the layered button using quick selection tool and move tool ... to a new document with transparent background ....

But it seems like i am missing something ... cause when i use that image after splicing it .... i am getting white corners which is spoiling the whole effect ...

Please help me

Thanks a million in advance.:)

gnomeontherun
01-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Are you exporting the slices in a format that can be transparent? Only GIF or PNG support transparency, JPG would not.

chinmayu
01-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks man i ll try that .... thanks a lot

I ll let you know ... actually i was saving it as jpg ...

chinmayu
01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
:confused: The Gif is much better but i m still getting white corners at the top .... anything else you think i must be messing up ? ...

Thanks a tonne.

gnomeontherun
01-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Are you sure the export settings are for transparent GIF? Make sure the checkbox for transperency is checked. Are you sure there is nothing underneath the layer in the document? If so that will cause it too.

chinmayu
01-19-2009, 07:55 PM
i ll tell you exactly as i go about it ... i use cs3 extended ....

1. i opened the psd .... selected the desired layer from right pane ...

2. used quick selection tool to select the desired button ....

3. opened a new file with transparent background ..... (checkered image)

4. used move tool to drag the button to the new file ....

5. used the slice tool to make a slice very close to the edges ...

6. saved for web & Devices ....

After you told me transparency issues with jpg .... i chose gif and png before saving it ....

i guess i haven't missed anything ....

Thats all ....

Thanks for your help :)

BoldUlysses
01-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Your sequence sounds good...up to after #6. As Jeremy mentioned, you need to make sure "Tranparency" is checked in the "Save for Web & Devices" dialog window:

http://www.sufferndesign.com/helping/gif_dialog_1.jpg

_Aerospace_Eng_
01-20-2009, 05:08 PM
If the magic wand didn't get the button cleanly you will get some white pixels when saved as a gif. Try saving it as a png instead. You will need to find a png fix for internet explorer to make the transparency work.

Arbitrator
01-23-2009, 07:44 AM
i am getting white corners which is spoiling the whole effect ... Itís always good to provide images when you have an image‐related problem. Optimally, this would be the PSD file and exported files that exhibit the issue or, at the least, a reference image.

After you told me transparency issues with jpg .... i chose gif and png before saving it ....The JPEG format has no transparency support whatsoever while the GIF format supports only binary transparency (i.e., 100% opaque and 100% transparent pixels). Only the PNG format supports translucent pixels (which would be required for soft edges between opaque and transparent areas). If you use GIF, youíre stuck with hard edges.

You will need to find a png fix for internet explorer to make the transparency work.To clarify for the OP: this statement only applies to versions of Windows Internet Explorer prior to 7. (I believe that WIE7 still has a PNG issue involving incorrect colorization though.)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum